Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cutting a Bolt

Any concern with a not being able to get a nut on a bolt after cutting? I need to shorten some bolts I wet-set in concrete, so obviously I don't want to screw them up (sorry for the pun). I was going to cut after the post base is on, but won't be able to get my reciprocating saw in there. I'd like to cut first, then put the bases on. Thoughts?

Anyone have any other tips on shortening bolts?

BSponz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 554

Cutting a Bolt

Install a nut on the bolt, then cut. Remove the nut, it will clean (chase) the threads.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Cutting a Bolt

Put a nut on the bolt, below the cut, before cutting. After the cut unthread the nut and it will be easy to put the nut back on when you're ready.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 29

Cutting a Bolt

Put a nut on it below the cut, then cut and when you remove the nut it will chase the threads clean.

EDIT: HAHA That was a triple jinx

Last edited by acme54321; 05-20-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Triple answers!
acme54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Cutting a Bolt

Do like they all said... get a nut onto the bolt FIRST. Run it down an inch or so past the cutting point .

But also, after you cut the bolt off, work a file around the cut edges of the bolt to get rid of any sharp points that the cutting leaves... THEN back the nut off to reestablish the spiral of the threaded pattern of the bolt. It really doesn't matter how much you taper the top of the bolt with the file; you won't hurt the fitting of the nut any. The proper threads will be shaped when you back the nut off.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-20-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

Cutting a Bolt

I've done alot of playing around with all-thread... sometimes it's hard to put the nut on first, like when you are cutting the middle of a 10' span!

Usually, I just use a triangular file.

First, I taper the end of the cut a little to get off any excess, then I file in the direction of last thread where it was cut with the edge of the file. This opens up any compressed or deformed areas.

Works just fine 99% of the time, and never requires me to remember to put the nut on first!

Last edited by xxPaulCPxx; 05-20-2010 at 11:28 AM.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote