Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Cutting asbestos siding

I am replacing some window with vinyl ones on my home. They are going to be bigger than the previous opening.

This will require cutting back the asbestos siding. My skill with asbestos siding is not very good at all.

I have talked to several other contractors and they suggested several options.

One was scoring the siding and breaking it. I tried this and it didn't break on the scoring.

Another was to try cutting it with a skill saw with a tile blade on it. I am rather reluctant to do this as it will cause a lot of free floating asbestos.

I can't take the siding off as it is sealed on the other end and I would have to remove trim and some channel off the roof.

Currently the window is in and the siding has jagged edges but I have lots of room to put in the trim and sitll have to cut back at least 3 inches.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Old 11-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Cutting asbestos siding

I would go back to the circular saw but first wet the the siding then have your significant other alongside with a spray bottle, spraying the kerf area while you are sawing it. Both of you should definitely wear good quality dust masks.

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #3

Cutting asbestos siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
I would go back to the circular saw but first wet the the siding then have your significant other alongside with a spray bottle, spraying the kerf area while you are sawing it. Both of you should definitely wear good quality dust masks.
Yea, 10-4 on the mask. Good idea on the water too.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Cutting asbestos siding

4-1/2" Diamond blade in a grinder. wet the siding and start your cutting. the old style siding could be cut with a knife as the above poster stated.make your score and lay on bench with the score on the edge of the bench and pop the shingle to snap it. the newer siding will not cut this way with out breaking.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #5

Cutting asbestos siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
4-1/2" Diamond blade in a grinder. wet the siding and start your cutting. the old style siding could be cut with a knife as the above poster stated.make your score and lay on bench with the score on the edge of the bench and pop the shingle to snap it. the newer siding will not cut this way with out breaking.
I was hoping to cut it in place. It would be real hard to get it off and would probably break. It is on the gable end of the house and is heavily caulked at the end with a trim board over it.

The weather head is also there and it runs close to the house. I would have get the power shut off to make this happen.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cutting asbestos siding

If you're going to cut this in a wet environment, make sure you plug the equipment into a GFCI outlet. These tools are not meant for moist situations.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #7

Cutting asbestos siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If you're going to cut this in a wet environment, make sure you plug the equipment into a GFCI outlet. These tools are not meant for moist situations.
Ron
I will be using a cordless. Much safer and easier to handle.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 516

Cutting asbestos siding

I cut some last week and went well,,wear a dust mask and set it just as deep as you have to with a dry masonery blade. I agree,taking them OFF would be a disaster,,,might as well take it ALL off then and reside with better stuff!! Caulk any crack left over and your good to go. This siding is good stuff but will it be allowed to be discarded in the future?? MIGHT make replacing NOW look like a bargain!! "HERE" we can put it in double trash bags and dump it as regular garbage!!YET!!!! Might be just as good to pick a good down wind day and stay upwind. OR create your own wind, with a fan.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Cutting asbestos siding

They have a shear that snaps the asbestos siding in one shot and also has a nail hole punch on the shear also, Works like a charm and you could probably rent one from your local rental store. Call me a *&ssy but I wouldn't cut the siding with anything that makes dust. Remember that the asbestos that will harm you is too small to see, but travels very easily into your lungs, where it will lodge quite nicely. Dust from a saw aint good even wet because it eventually dries into a powder. Get the shear IMHOP. And if you do attempt to cut it with a saw use soapy water to keep the dust down, And pray your neighbors aren't hip to asbestos shingles otherwise you will have someone knocking on your door you don't want to see.

Last edited by James Con; 11-20-2008 at 10:41 PM.
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #10

Cutting asbestos siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Con View Post
They have a shear that snaps the asbestos siding in one shot and also has a nail hole punch on the shear also, Works like a charm and you could probably rent one from your local rental store. Call me a *&ssy but I wouldn't cut the siding with anything that makes dust. Remember that the asbestos that will harm you is too small to see, but travels very easily into your lungs, where it will lodge quite nicely. Dust from a saw aint good even wet because it eventually dries into a powder. Get the shear IMHOP. And if you do attempt to cut it with a saw use soapy water to keep the dust down, And pray your neighbors aren't hip to asbestos shingles otherwise you will have someone knocking on your door you don't want to see.
I don't know if I could get that thing in there. Not a lot of space.

The neighbors don't care. I take care of most of them (many are elderly) and fix all their stuff. Many have the same siding and didn't know it was asbestos till I told them.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

Cutting asbestos siding

Soapy water and a GOOD respirator with a well shaven face. Good luck.
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #12

Cutting asbestos siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Con View Post
Soapy water and a GOOD respirator with a well shaven face. Good luck.
I have to go through WMD classes every year and have to do fit testing. I like the N100's as they fit my face well. The N95's just don't cut it.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #13
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Cutting asbestos siding

N100s carry the correct rating for asbestos dust. You still need to keep the asbestos wetted to stay under the airborne limits for that type of mask. The trick to N95s is finding the right mask and proper size. To anyone using an N95, make sure it has the proper cartridges. P100s for airborne dust like mold spores or asbestos. Organic Vapor cartridges don't cut it for dust. Wear some kind of disposable coveralls and bag them outside before you go in the house. Don't drag asbestos dust inside on your clothes.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #14

Cutting asbestos siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
N100s carry the correct rating for asbestos dust. You still need to keep the asbestos wetted to stay under the airborne limits for that type of mask. The trick to N95s is finding the right mask and proper size. To anyone using an N95, make sure it has the proper cartridges. P100s for airborne dust like mold spores or asbestos. Organic Vapor cartridges don't cut it for dust. Wear some kind of disposable coveralls and bag them outside before you go in the house. Don't drag asbestos dust inside on your clothes.
I have never been able to get an N95 to fit my face. When I did the fit test it failed every time.

The N100's for me work excellent and I have never had a problem with the fit test.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Cutting asbestos siding

Some guys just have a real tough time finding a mask that fits. I have tried a bunch of different ones. Wilson's seem to work better than MSAs. 3Ms don't work at all for me. That's why I say, you have to try a bunch of types and sizes sometimes. If N100s work, then go with them. They have the same protection rating or better and you don't have to clean them. Just toss 'em.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote