Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #1

Share |

Cut window opening in concrete foundation.

I am wondering what the best way would be to cut a window opening 3" lower then it currently is? Need to lower the base to 44" to meet code in a bedroom basement.

Also I am going to be replacing the windows, which are currently set into the cement. I assume I need to build a wood frame in the opening? Or can you attach the new window directly to the concrete using tapcon screws?

Thanks,

Ben

Bcoleman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Make sure you have the right sill height and not the rough opening height. The code people are concerned with the height and width with the window open and not the size of the hole it fits into.

It has happened many times when people put the right size window into an opening that is too high.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
so-elitecrete

available a demo saw w/24" blade nor be able to rent 1, either,,, they're pretty specializ'd & only pro conc cutters have them far's i know,,, you CAN rent the saw which takes a 12" blade,,, just make cuts from both sides, ben, then chip off the mismatch'd part works easier if you only cut 1" deep at a time.
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote