DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cut a small "notch" in 2x10 header

7K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  brockmiera 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone

I often visit to read through threads just to get more background for future projects. But now I have a question that I am hoping folks brighter than myself can give their thoughts on.

I am creating a pass through on two different kitchen walls. One is load bearing and the other I do not believe is. But they aren't huge pass throughs so I am just going to treat each wall as if it were load bearing to be safe... I figure that is better than trusting my judgement.

So, I was surprised to find on the load bearing wall that electric is dropped down instead of coming up from the basement. It's 3 cables and coming through the same area at the top. So... here is my bright idea... I was thinking of notching about a 2 inch wide by 1 1/2 inch deep area out of the header so that I could install it without worrying about rerouting the lines. As the header will have 1/2 inch between the 2x10s, I can drop it through and have some ideas on running it from there. I'm sure there are better ways but that's the plan.

My question is would doing the notching, as I call it, be ok or just a really bad idea? The span is about 5 foot and I am using 2x10s for the header. It's just the roof above. I figured using that size for such a short span, and having no other notches or holes, it would be fine. Am I under thinking this? And yeah, I know I haven't asked the other important question of being up to code.

I included a pic and circled where the electric is and then put an elementary drawing of the header on there for visuals.

Thanks for any insight and glad I have a reason to use the forum!!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Right. I plan to go right and drop through the corner drywall. Will be outside the new header stud, but will enclose it. I just got home and looked and I am thinking I May be able to pull it through the header without smashing it between the header and frame, but still thinking bout notching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.