Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cut a small "notch" in 2x10 header

Hey Everyone

I often visit to read through threads just to get more background for future projects. But now I have a question that I am hoping folks brighter than myself can give their thoughts on.

I am creating a pass through on two different kitchen walls. One is load bearing and the other I do not believe is. But they aren't huge pass throughs so I am just going to treat each wall as if it were load bearing to be safe... I figure that is better than trusting my judgement.

So, I was surprised to find on the load bearing wall that electric is dropped down instead of coming up from the basement. It's 3 cables and coming through the same area at the top. So... here is my bright idea... I was thinking of notching about a 2 inch wide by 1 1/2 inch deep area out of the header so that I could install it without worrying about rerouting the lines. As the header will have 1/2 inch between the 2x10s, I can drop it through and have some ideas on running it from there. I'm sure there are better ways but that's the plan.

My question is would doing the notching, as I call it, be ok or just a really bad idea? The span is about 5 foot and I am using 2x10s for the header. It's just the roof above. I figured using that size for such a short span, and having no other notches or holes, it would be fine. Am I under thinking this? And yeah, I know I haven't asked the other important question of being up to code.

I included a pic and circled where the electric is and then put an elementary drawing of the header on there for visuals.

Thanks for any insight and glad I have a reason to use the forum!!
Attached Thumbnails
Cut a small "notch" in 2x10 header-wall-pic-2.jpg  

justaperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Is the size your pass thru going to be the same size as the drywall you've taken out?

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #3

Yeah, pretty much the same size. Ill likely have to cut it more to get the header up there and whatnot, but thats about the size. It May be more round 5 1/2 feet.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #4

So you have electrical wires coming down near the middle of that span? Once they pass thru the area that your beam will occupy where will they go from there?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #5

Right. I plan to go right and drop through the corner drywall. Will be outside the new header stud, but will enclose it. I just got home and looked and I am thinking I May be able to pull it through the header without smashing it between the header and frame, but still thinking bout notching.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #6

I wouldn't notch out the main header support. Typically there is 1/2 plywood sandwiched between the two 2x's for accurate spacing. I'd leave out a section of that plywood if you absolutely have to pass them thru the area where the beam will be located.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #7

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. Thats actually how i was leaning as well... Just leaving room to pass through the middle.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #8

No problem. Post some progress pics too! I'd love to see it when its done. What size header are you using? How many jack studs?