Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


Hi, Everyone,

I'm looking at getting a basic Storage shed kit that I can eventually turn into an office space. I'd intended to either build it from scratch or have one built, but recent events have slapped both my time and my budget around, and so I now must find some different options.

I have decided to go with the Handy Homes Majestic shed kit from Home Depot (see the photo below). Not the best kit, but it is something I can work with--and more importantly, it's a kit I can immediately bring home and start putting together once I purchase it.



Here is my dilemna:

the space I have to place this shed in is limited. I have 9x13' of space, 10x13' if I stretch it. Our city regs say I must give a couple of feet clearance from each of the fences. I can set it a bit closer to the house, since the wall I'd be building next to has no egresses, but that still means I can only build an 8x10' of so shed. The usual Handy Homes 8x10' gable shed only has 6' side walls. Though they are about 8' tall at their centers, Though I'm not that tall, I don't relish working for 10 to 12 hours a day in a space with walls that short: too much like working in a stand-up coffin, even if I have windows and a skylight.

The Majestic, is 8x12', and 9' tall at the center, which would work perfectly... if.

And that's my question: would it be possible to cut the side walls of this kit down, so that it is ultimately 8' wide and 10' long? I was going to lay my own floor rather than going with the floor kit because I want something a bit sturdier under my feet than what Handy Homes supplies. But would I be able to cut this thing down so it would fit my needs? And if so, what would I need to do to be able to set this up the way I want?

I apologize if this seems rather an insane question, but so far I haven't found another 8x10' shed kit that will give me 7' side walls to start with for a price that will let me finish the interior up in a timely and relatively inexpensive manner. And as I'm sure you've guessed, I'm very new at this thing. I've built a computer desk or two in my time, but never put together a building, from a kit or otherwise.

If anyone can give me some pointers--soon!--or suggest a kit that I can get my hands on very quickly-- I would appreciate it.

Kevalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


If the plan to turn it into an office then stick build it.
Those cheap sheds do not have enough over hang of the roofs, No ridge vents, no windows, no soffit vents, most are built with 2 X 3's not 2 X 4's so there's little room for insulation, no nailers for sheetrock, no hurracane ties on the rafters, T-111 for siding, undersized ceiling joist not enough support under the floor.
With the walls not being 8' tall your going to be throwing away 12" of sheetrock, why? Make them 8" and it's less cutting and less time.
Two guys that know what there doing can build that small a shed in about 2 days or less.


Last edited by joecaption; 03-04-2012 at 12:21 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Kevalin (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


I would'nt try to adapt a pre-fab.
Then you want your own floor...
If you can build a computer desk, you can build a shed.
Probably a little more, but it will be heavier-duty and the size that you can best custom-fit into the space.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
Kevalin (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If the plan to turn it into an office then stick build it.
Those cheap sheds do not have enough over hang of the roofs, No ridge vents, no windows, no soffit vents, most are built with 2 X 3's not 2 X 4's so there's little room for insulation, no nailers for sheetrock, no hurracane ties on the rafters, T-111 for siding, undersized ceiling joist not enough support under the floor.
With the walls not being 8' tall your going to be throwing away 12" of sheetrock, why? Make them 8" and it's less cutting and less time.
Two guys that know what there doing can build that small a shed in about 2 days or less.
Yeah, the 2x3 thing was what made me initially decide against Handy Home--but as I said, things have changed in terms of available time and available finances, so I was looking again. Having someone build it, unfortunately, is just not possible, but I will certainly give another look at building it myself, perhaps with a bit of help from friends and family (though the idea of some of them with a hammer makes my hair curl).
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
I would'nt try to adapt a pre-fab.
Then you want your own floor...
If you can build a computer desk, you can build a shed.
Probably a little more, but it will be heavier-duty and the size that you can best custom-fit into the space.
With that in mind, I'm looking at something a bit more lean-to in shape: I saw some office plans at a site called icreatables that might suit my needs, and they will supposedly adjust their plans for you for free, so I'm wouldn't be trying to adjust it to suit my needs as I go along. Assuming I go ahead and do the full DYI route. I have to double-check it, but I believe if the structure is designed so that it at least begins at the top of the fence height-wise, you can build a bit closer to it. It sure would be nice to squeeze a 8x12' shed into that space, if possible... Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, folks; I really appreciate the insight of "veterans", especially if it ends up saving me a bit of time, money or frustration. I'll let you know what I end up doing, as I'll probably have made a decision by tomorrow.

Last edited by Kevalin; 03-04-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Kevalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
In a little over my head
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 740
Rewards Points: 510
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


My suggestion is to to go back to Home Depot and purchase a "How to Build Sheds" book. Read through it and decide if you want to tackle it. I think you'l find it to be a fun DIY project. If you are putting it next to the house, don't forget to allow for roof overhang. New construction vinyl windows are surprisingly inexpensive. I'd install at least one nice big one if you are going to be using the shed as an office.

I think you'll have fewer problems and frustrations stickbuilding it, than adapting and cutting a pre-built.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbefishing For This Useful Post:
Kevalin (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,748
Rewards Points: 2,112
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


the kit sheds sold at big box stores are garbage for the price.. i can stick frame a shed out of stronger material and have a more structurally sound design for about 15% less $$ in material than those kits.

Last edited by woodworkbykirk; 03-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (03-04-2012), Kevalin (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
...i can stick frame a shed out of stronger material and have a more structurally sound design for about 15% $$ in material than those kits.

Nova Scotia - California.

We're talking two different PLANETS, here... and I don't mean that as an insult to Nova Scotia!
Kevalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,748
Rewards Points: 2,112
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


the kits are pretty much the same right across the board.. their mostly 2x3 framing that is 24" o.c.. which is a joke.. i can fart and knock one over.. build it with atleast 2x4's 16" o.c. better yet build it with 2x6 and your able to properly insulate it if you plan on using it as an office space
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Kevalin (03-05-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
the kit sheds sold at big box stores are garbage for the price.. i can stick frame a shed out of stronger material and have a more structurally sound design for about 15% $$ in material than those kits.
Boy, you got THAT right!

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
the kits are pretty much the same right across the board.. their mostly 2x3 framing that is 24" o.c.. which is a joke.. i can fart and knock one over..

Okay... that made me .

I can probably get away with the 2x4's considering where I live. We only get stick-to-the-ground-for-about-ten-minutes snow about once every twenty years. Hell, we rarely, rarely drop below freezing in the winter, and that only at night. And our summers are generally mild as well, so insulation isn't the issue it would be in colder or consistently hotter climes.

I sent an email to icreatables .com, re: making some minor changes to the office shed plans I'm interested in. I should hear from them in 24 to 48 hours, with another 24 to 48 hours if they can make the changes . Which I guess means I'm going to give a go to stick-building this thing.

All prayers on my behalf will be gratefully accepted. Thank you.
Kevalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevalin View Post
Okay... that made me .

I can probably get away with the 2x4's considering where I live. We only get stick-to-the-ground-for-about-ten-minutes snow about once every twenty years. Hell, we rarely, rarely drop below freezing in the winter, and that only at night. And our summers are generally mild as well, so insulation isn't the issue it would be in colder or consistently hotter climes.

I sent an email to icreatables .com, re: making some minor changes to the office shed plans I'm interested in. I should hear from them in 24 to 48 hours, with another 24 to 48 hours if they can make the changes . Which I guess means I'm going to give a go to stick-building this thing.

All prayers on my behalf will be gratefully accepted. Thank you.
I'm not much on praying, so how about a instead!
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
Kevalin (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Cut a Shed Kit to Size?


Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
I'm not much on praying, so how about a instead!
Works for me!

Kevalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring a shed, need advice. hgbpro Electrical 22 02-02-2012 10:25 AM
Zoning issue with planned shed Ler0y Jenkins General DIY Discussions 15 02-01-2012 01:41 PM
Wiring Size Calculations for New Service CorinthWest Electrical 7 12-07-2010 12:36 PM
Making a floor in a garage. What size floor joists? GD73 Building & Construction 2 07-19-2009 07:07 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.