Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cut and install new window

Hello. We'd like to add a window (where there currently is not one) in one our upstairs bathrooms. It will be a tilt/wash grid window that is 30 inches wide and 36 inches tall, with a separate arched transom above it that will be 10 inches high in the center. I received an estimate today to do the job (the estimate includes the price of the window and arched transom piece), and includes cutting the hole, framing and installing the window and transom and trimming it all out. The estimate is $1,600 and I was wondering if that is in the ballpark for something like this? Thanks very much in advance for any reply.

mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Depending on the quality of the window, I think that's a bargin.

spebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I was thinking the same thing. The window is the least of the expense on a project like that. It's mainly labor. And I'd be concerned that you are getting it installed correctly and according to code. You'll need a header over the new window which means the drywall/plaster on the interior will need to be removed roughly 12" over the proposed window height. You also have siding considerations, depending on what type of siding you have. Wood, masonite, fiber cement siding would be a piece of cake. But aluminum, vinyl and steel siding would take a little more time to do it correctly. Patching the wall above the window would take some time, and multiple trims, and the trim isn't a big deal, but you probably want it to be finished. Is paint included?

If it does indeed include "everything", it's a pretty good deal, assuming your window is a middle of the road quality window, costing perhaps $500 or so. If he's bidding a cheap vinyl window, then I think the bid is a little high, and should be in the 1000-1300 range.
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies!
mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

If window is close, within 3 ft. of tub or shower, it may need to be tempered glass by code. This work work would require a permit in my neck of the woods. 2nd story work? price is a good deal even if sideing tie-in is no brainer. Great deal if masonary or even vinyl.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote