Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Share |

Cut beam in upstairs bonus room

One of the "interesting" things a previous owner did to our new house was to cut into a wall and put in a shelving unit. To get the shelf deep enough into the wall, he cut into a stud, about 2 inches. Who would I ask to see if this is safe before I pull out the shelf and patch the giant hole?

FYI, on the attached plans, we have the "optional loft" configuration. It's where the Bedroom 3 would be.
Attached Thumbnails
Cut beam in upstairs bonus room-2428.jpg  

robwallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
the Musigician

the way it's tucked in there, it looks to be a closet perhaps? it doesn't LOOK to be load bearing the way it's shown, the walls in black would be if anything. more pics would help.
as long as it's not, cut a piece of scrap tight and glue/tap/snug it in the gap before you patch it.

DM

Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #3

I think in the 3-bedroom plan, it's where the closet would go. Since this middle room is more of a 3-sided loft affair, it's just a weird section of the wall that sticks out.

I think I'm more worried about the stud behind the drywall. Looks like he cut in to the short side 2-2.5 inches or so, for about 4 feet, to fit the shelf unit in. I'll try to get more pics.
robwallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

If you're concerned with the structural integrity, pull the drywall down and add another stud on the side of the cut ones. If you're going to be remodeling anyway, what's a little more dust?? And the drywall has to be patched anyway. It will give you peace of mind in the end.....