Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #1

Share |

Cut 2 studs for in-wall Speakers

I cut 2 studs in a wall to put in-wall speakers. This is a new home and I just want some reassurance that everything will be ok. I am paranoid about it I only had about 14in. X 8 in. in the sheetrock so I couldn't put a cross board in there. I have a picture attached of what the wall looks like behind the sheetrock with red squares where I cut out the stud. I took out about 12 in. of the stud. Some reassurance would be nice or tips. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Cut 2 studs for in-wall Speakers-speaker-cutout-stud.jpg   Cut 2 studs for in-wall Speakers-speaker-cutout-after.jpg  

mpkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

You really should install a header for each stud you cut, but that pre-engineered beam above may be rated adequately to handle the span without any additional support. Check with the builder and/or manufacturer of the beam.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkash View Post
I cut 2 studs in a wall to put in-wall speakers. This is a new home and I just want some reassurance that everything will be ok. I am paranoid about it I only had about 14in. X 8 in. in the sheetrock so I couldn't put a cross board in there. I have a picture attached of what the wall looks like behind the sheetrock with red squares where I cut out the stud. I took out about 12 in. of the stud. Some reassurance would be nice or tips. Thank you.
So, why did you cut the studs first and ask NOW if it's alright? Why would you do such a thing FIRST..... BEFORE...ASKING IF IT'S ALRIGHT????

What makes you think that you can just cut out studs and not risk having any problems. Do you have any common sense? Call your builder now and ask him. He's the only one that will know, not anyone here oin this forum. Better yet, call your building inspector and ask him if it's alright now that the studs are already cut.

Now, some will say that I'm a little harsh when it comes to posts like this. That's just to bad because I can't believe the lack of common sense and people not caring about cutting framing out FIRST before asking.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Electrician

Joe, I feel your pain...
Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #5

Well, I sure wouldn't have done it. You cut into a structural wall, one that was sheathed with OSB to give it some shear flow. This wall is required to keep your two-story wall full of windows from flexing in and out before it reaches of the roof. As you're asking your builder about this, show him the picture of the structural rim joist supporting the wall above, instead of a structural I joist. Unless that is a structural beam, rather than a rim joist, hard to tell from here.

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #6

Looks like a pretty big header was needed at the doorway in that wall so I'd guess you need some decent headers for your holes too. I definitely can't reassure you that it's ok.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #7

why didn't you put the speakers in between the studs? Your speakers can't possibly be that wide.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
Always learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerunner View Post
why didn't you put the speakers in between the studs? Your speakers can't possibly be that wide.
Took the words right out of my mouth...
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerunner View Post
That is where they where supposed to be mounted.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote