Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Custom Curved Window - Replacement

On the back of our house, there is a large curved "bay" window with 18 separate frames of glass.

These are the only remaining single pane windows in the house, which makes this room cold in the winter.

I had thought about replacing each pass with a double-pane, but I don't think the existing wood frames would support that much additional weight.

I am willing to think outside of the box of tearing out all the wood framing and putting 6 tall pieces of glass in.

Thoughts and Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Curved Window - Replacement-curved.jpg   Custom Curved Window - Replacement-curved2.jpg  

Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Looks like your projection on the existing unit is a little too much.Its hard to tell from the pic but it looks to be even with the outside of the gutter that makes it difficult to close in properly
I Would recommend a replacement bay unit with less projection or you could put a combination of venting and non venting casement units in each vertical section

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I'll get some better photos. Yes, top is even with end of sofit.
Bottom has built out brick unit.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
On the back of our house, there is a large curved "bay" window with 18 separate frames of glass.

These are the only remaining single pane windows in the house, which makes this room cold in the winter.

I had thought about replacing each pass with a double-pane, but I don't think the existing wood frames would support that much additional weight.

I am willing to think outside of the box of tearing out all the wood framing and putting 6 tall pieces of glass in.

Thoughts and Suggestions?
Andersen and Marvin both could make a custom bay window- looks like 10 degree bow- but definte stay under soffit if at all possible. Pretty any MFG could make it -if it doesn't need to vent- good luck- call a Local Contractor Yard Outside salesman- and ask him to come out and measure with a MFG rep
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote