Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Custom bbq fireplace

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting to the forum, so I hope I am posting to the right place.

I want to build a custom BBQ (or where I come from they call it a Braai!) using brick and concrete and use a steel chimney pipe. But before I start I would like to hear from other people that have any ideas or suggestions to build a great bbq place. The actual area where the BBQ is used needs to be about 1.5m wide and 1m deep and 1.5m high.

Can anyone please give me some tips?

Another thing that I am thinking of building is a custom swimming pool heating system. I'm thinking of using 100m x 4 poly piping (black piping that is normally used for irrigation), arranged in a spiral with the ends of the pipes coming together and then connecting those one end to a water pump that draws water from the pool, and the other end going back into the water. I will then put this whole spiral 'network' on top of my roof. I want to know if this type of method will actually make a difference to the temperature.

I would also like anyone who has suggestions with this idea to please post.

Thanks all!!

Francois.

frankwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:17 AM   #2

Custom bbq fireplace

Anyone?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:58 AM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Custom bbq fireplace

First, look online (google) for information on grill construction, backyard kitchens, outdoor kitchens.....

Next, I am considering a solar heating set up very similar to what you are describing. If you have the tubing, you can make a trial run and see how it works by laying it on the concrete and circulating the water...and measuring the heat gain.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 AM   #4

Custom bbq fireplace

Thanks!

I will have a look. I found an article about solar heating that they use copper piping. I'm gonna have a shot at that! Thanks for the reply!