Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Curious minds gotta know

Hey all, got a customer that wants to convert a old garage to a office but wants to keep everything simple and keep the costs down as much as possible so I am a little curious about one factor of the job.
He has 1x6 channel siding nailed directly to 16 o/c studs with no paper behind so I was thinking about not removeing the siding and renail whats there, paper it, then apply ranch wall. He likes the idea of ranch wall. So can you think of any reason not to do it this way.

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #2

Curious minds gotta know

What is 'ranch wall'?

Building codes may or may not require paper under the siding depending on the type siding you install, but you will have a superior seondary weather barrier if you install something between the siding and old clapboard.

manhattan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
renovations

Curious minds gotta know

Ranch wall is what we call t1-11 I believe. Darryl, I don't see any problem with this whatever, other than an aesthetic one- I think ranch wall is ugly. :D Rich.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #4

Curious minds gotta know

There is more than one kind of ranch wall here. The original one I dislike with a passion but the one I put on my storage building looks kinda nice. Has a wood profile but I only use it on storage building and sheds if I need to keep the cost down. It boils down to what the situation happends to be for example I built a shed for some clients but no way was I going to use ranch wall on this shed but for this client being a old garage that they just want a quick fix up and the house is old to and tucked away on some acerage in a zone where there is no inspections yet. I have built two buildings now with this stuff and passed inspections with flying colors. The idea behind not tearing down the original siding is the cost of resheating and siding so if I renail the siding thats there now paper it and use this ranch wall it will save them quite a bit and thats makes them happy not to mention very solid walls.
The pics I have included are the shed I built for one client and the other is the storage building I built with the ranch wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Curious minds gotta know-rossshed2.jpg   Curious minds gotta know-ranchwall.jpg  
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
renovations

Curious minds gotta know

I love that little shed the same size as the door, it's so cute!!!

Yeah, I think the stuff is useful, (I have some on my house waiting til the shingles go over it). Like I say, you are gonna get a bombproof building doing what you planned. Rich.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote