Cultured Stonewall And Fun With Drills! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cultured Stonewall and fun with drills!

First off, hello. Secondly here is my most recent project i will be attempting this winter. Ive been looking everywhere online for something similar to what I'm attempting but keep coming up short. My goal is to mount a 42" LCD to my stone wall in my master bed room. The wall is 12 feet long and covered by large field stone looking guys (Didn't do it, was a previous owner thing) Anyway we want to mount the TV to this wall for layout reasons. The stones are mortared to 1/2" OSB which in turn is attached to the wall studs. My plan was this:

Drill 4 wholes into the mortar (But not the OSB)
Attach a piece of plywood (large enough for the TV bracket) with 4 lag bolts through the mortar and into the OSB
Attach the TV Bracket to the plywood
Attach TV to bracket
In my mind this would create a rather strong "sandwich" effect. The stones are relatively even so the plywood overlay should help to even that out. This also allows us to remove the setup one day and only have a few mortar holes to fill in.

Here are my chief concerns;
1) Will the weight "warp" the OSB over time and cause degradation to the stone wall?

2) Should I use something other than or more than Lag Bolts to attach to the OSB?

Just looking for fresh eyes on this since I'd rather do it right the first time.

Thanks!
Psevins

Advertisement

Psevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

These mounts require you to lag them into wall studs, not OSB. Unless you want the TV to come off the wall, follow the instructions.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
These mounts require you to lag them into wall studs, not OSB. Unless you want the TV to come off the wall, follow the instructions.
Ron
I do agree that would be the most ideal method, however, due to the way the wall was done I have no way of finding the studs behind this wall and hitting them with any accuracy. I have seen installs done into stone itself (the faux ones like mine) but I don't want to drill the stones or place that much force on the mortared stones.

Thanks!
Psevins is offline   Reply With Quote