Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cultured stone?

I'm currently considering putting cultured stone on the front of my house. A few Spanish contractors working in my area have quoted me a price of $8.00 per square foot for the installation, which is a little more than 1,000 square feet. These guys work for a reputable company, but are doing this job on the side. This probably means that I won't have any warranty. I've seen their work and it's pretty good. Does this sound like a good deal? Is there anything I should consider before hiring them. And no, they don't get paid until the job is complete and I'm satisfied.

Thanks,
Kelly

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #2

Cultured stone?

Just make sure they follow the manufacturers instructions on installation so you don't cancel the warranty on the stone.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Cultured stone?

Is that price including materials? Have you looked at their work up close? Do that first. I have seen too many cultured stone jobs where cuts left exposed concrete aggregate. Cuts should be minimal and the cuts should be hidden by the mortar joints. Also, look for lots of mortar on the faces of the stone, on window frames and on horizontal surfaces, like a porch or window sill, below. I cant really comment on the price, my gut tells me its high for just labor but it may be in line for your area. Get a couple more quotes and check past jobs for the things I have mentioned. Good luck
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #4

Cultured stone?

No, the price is for everything except the stone. I've seen their work. It's pretty good, but I wouldn't consider it great. I live in southern VA. How much should I be paying for this type of work? Also, about how much does cultured stone run?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Cultured stone?

I would want a reputable company behind the installation of this product. There is more to it than just sticking the stone to a substrate. Proper flashing and moisture control is absolutely critical. Ask your local masonry supplier that you will purchase the stone from for a copy of the installation manuel and you will see what I mean. Either Fine Homebuilding magazine or The Journal of Light Construction had a story about moisture problems due to faulty installaton practices. It was a few years ago, but is probably still able to be found either on the web or at your local library, and it will make a believer out of you.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #6

Cultured stone?

Very good points. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #7

Cultured stone?

No one else mentioned it, so I will.

Make sure that all the people working on your home have adequate insurance.

Workers Comp AND Liability.

One other thing.

In my opinion, if these "Spanish" contractors are not in this country legally, I wouldn't use them regardless of just how good the deal is. But that's just me.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #8

Cultured stone?

This site is for "Do it Yourselfer's", I thought, not "Hiring illegals, pro or cons"?!
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
cjs1

Cultured stone?

Did you ever go through with the cultured stone on the front of your house...if so, where you pleased with the look and application?
cjshannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
conc repr & dec conc

Send a message via AIM to dec-conc-artisan Send a message via Yahoo to dec-conc-artisan

Cultured stone?

notwithstanding the level of competence, insurance, warranty, & legal employees are very relevant issues,,, local govt regulations may also agree.

just MY $.03, tho !
dec-conc-artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #11

Cultured stone?

FWIW...going through a similar situation. im doing 400 Sq of the owens/corning cultured stone on the front of my home(to be). contractors bidding the siding work had it quoted out at $30/sqft labor material. local dealer has the materials at $8sqft(edge)$11sqft(flat). not too sure about mortar,wpb, and lathe yet. will do it my self when the time comes but the price you have seems decent...im in the North East by the way.
hope the info helps,
Alex
NHERal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #12

Cultured stone?

I dont really know what labor rates in your area are but as for product well the stone I bought runs arond 50 dollars a box and covers between 8-10 sqft lathe is 100 dollars for 10 sheets and mortar was 8.50 a bag.I am putting stone inside and if I ever get to it around the bottem outside of my house.Its not as had as it seams just do some research and you can save yourself a mess of money the price you were given seams high to me though

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote