Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #1

Share |

Cultured Stone

Hello - I'm in the process of installing some cultured stone on the exterior of our house (first time.) Just a couple of questions: the install instructions from Owens-Corning say that some jurisdictions require at "weep screed" at the bottom between the stone and grade. What is a "weep screed"? Also, I have heard you don't want to tack the metal lath to tightly on the wall so the mud has something to adhere to. Is that true? Attached (I hope) is the wall I will be applying the stone. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Cultured Stone-side1.jpg  

Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #2

Cultured Stone

http://www.xomba.com/what_weep_screed

you heard right HOWEVER don't let the stuff stay loose, either,,, we use mechanical fasteners ever 6"

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #3

Cultured Stone

Thanks for the info. I had one other question - I need to flash the top of the stone (where the horizontal 1x10 meets the top of the stone), does the flashing need to cover the entire top of the stone? For example, the stone is 1.5 - 2" thick, does the flashing need to stick out 2" from the wall? I'm assuming the flashing just needs to prevent water from getting behind the rock so maybe it just needs to come out .5 - .75 from wall. I was thinking of using a "L" type flashing verses "Z" flashing. Thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #4

Cultured Stone

Here read up: http://www.stuccoguru.com/resources/...0&resourceID=3

Hope this helps...
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #5

Cultured Stone

Thanks for the reference. Regarding the lath, how loose should it be on the wall? Should you be able to pull it away from the wall 1/4, 1/2"...? Thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Cultured Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E View Post
Thanks for the reference. Regarding the lath, how loose should it be on the wall? Should you be able to pull it away from the wall 1/4, 1/2"...? Thanks

Just let it lay flat on the wall, don't try to "stretch" it to get it tighter. (it should be rougher when running your hand upwards)

Staples/roofing nails on 16" centers max, 6" apart on studs max.

As for the flashing at the top, I'd suggest a sill for the entire top to shed water and help disguise the thin veneer.

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
Jack E (08-24-2010)