Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2006, 02:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Cultured stone?

I'm building a new home and I need a little help. Originally, my wife and I wanted a brick faced home like the first picture I've attached. In fact, this is the exact model we're buying. Unfortunately, because the customer next to us picked this brick for their home, we couldn't get it. However, we were able to use this brick for the two to five foot foundation that surrounds the entire house.

Rather than select another brick color we didn't like, we decided to purchase a vinyl faced home with the intent of adding cultured stone later. Apparently, the builder is covering the home with exterior plywood, which I believe makes putting up cultured stone a lot easier. I've attached second photo to show how the vinyl and brick foundation works.

Here are my questions:

1. Since the house doesn't have a brick ledge, when we replace the siding with cultured stone will the transition from the brick foundation to the cultured stone facing look okay?

2. What type/color of cultured stone would compliment this brick color? We personally like Eldorado Stone.

3. What areas of the house would look best with stone facing? I was thinking of leaving a little siding to add interest.

I know that all of these are subjective, but I appreciate any help offered.

Thanks,
Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Cultured stone?-img_1559.jpg   Cultured stone?-img_1421.jpg  

Last edited by kcrossley2; 12-17-2006 at 02:39 AM.
kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #2

Cultured stone?

no it should not be a problem and will look just great.Now this is just my opinion but you have brick part way up right and you are leaveing that so I would take the stone in a lighter color to the top of the widows on the bottem level and then just around the window for the upper level leaveing the sideing in between.As for the stone I am useing Dutch Quiality -ledgestone and tinting the morter to match.If you go over to the header of painting -topic -how to fix a low celling you can see an example of where I put it between my windows in my dinning room.I know it on the inside but as soon as the weather clears (spring) I will be putting it up 18 inches all around my house and up between the windows.Its a lighter color,( tan )but it comes with different shades and tones and has some reds in it also .This is all just my opinion though oh and hey nice house

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
mason

Rewards Points: 25

Cultured stone?

Where are you located? Just out of curiousity.

As far as your brick ledge showing, I guess it depends on the grade. Generally you will still see some brick legde, but it can be easily hidden with some nice landscaping.
6stringmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #4

Cultured stone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringmason View Post
Where are you located? Just out of curiousity.
Virginia
Old 12-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 564

Cultured stone?

At the top of the brick, you will need to install a water table (available from Eldo or CS). This will provide the setback and weatherproofing you need for that joint.

In my purely subjective view, stone over brick looks odd. As it normally plays out if done with actual materials for actual reasons, it is brick over stone. I would consider a stucco finish instead or consider using faux rock to the dirt.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #6

Cultured stone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
At the top of the brick, you will need to install a water table (available from Eldo or CS). This will provide the setback and weatherproofing you need for that joint.

In my purely subjective view, stone over brick looks odd. As it normally plays out if done with actual materials for actual reasons, it is brick over stone. I would consider a stucco finish instead or consider using faux rock to the dirt.
No, that's not what I want to do. I want to leave the foundation brick as it is, remove some of the siding on the front of the house, and replace it with cultured stone. I saw this done down in Atlanta and it really looked nice. Check out the attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Cultured stone?-img_0026.jpg   Cultured stone?-img_0006.jpg   Cultured stone?-img_0102.jpg   Cultured stone?-img_0043.jpg  
Old 12-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #7

Cultured stone?

Of those pictures, which one looks the most fake? I vote for number 2, both because it has no turnback and because it is stone over brick.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #8

Cultured stone?

You do not have to know the reasons and history for why something is done to appreciate the result. Stone over brick is just not "right", and I think you will find that the examples of homes you most like will reflect this, even though you may not consciously understand why.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #9

Cultured stone?

Quote:
Of those pictures, which one looks the most fake? I vote for number 2, both because it has no turnback and because it is stone over brick.
I'm just a homeowner so I wouldn't know, but I assume that turnback refers to corner pieces, correct?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #10

Cultured stone?

Yes, the corner. It should at least turn back to the alleged thickness of the natural stone.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #11

Cultured stone?

Quote:
You do not have to know the reasons and history for why something is done to appreciate the result. Stone over brick is just not "right", and I think you will find that the examples of homes you most like will reflect this, even though you may not consciously understand why.
Tscarborough, I'm not suggesting stone over brick. I'm suggesting to butt stone up against brick like I've shown in the photos. Personally, I think it's rather silly to put stone over brick or brick over stone and I would never do it.

However, I think a combination of stone, brick, and siding, like the photos I've posted, looks fantastic!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #12

Cultured stone?

Stone above brick is what I mean.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #13

Cultured stone?

Quote:
Stone above brick is what I mean.
Oh crap. That's my only option and it's also why we picked a brown brick instead of red. I guess I could rip out all of the front foundation brick and replace it and the siding with cultured stone, but that seems like a huge waste of a perfectly good brick. All of this could have been easily avoided if my neighbor hadn't picked the same brick that we wanted. Oh well.

By the way, I believe that all of the stone is real except the second photo.

Last edited by kcrossley2; 12-17-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #14

Cultured stone?

In those photos, let me tell you why I like/dislike each:

Photo one, they use the stone as an accent point for the entryway. It is a usage of the stone that could conciveably have been done, given that it is a masonry home.

Photo two is a rock surface applied to a wall. It would never have been built in that fashion as a masonry home.

Photo 3 same as photo 1.

Photo 4 is how it could have been built as a masonry home.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #15

Cultured stone?

No it isn't. Stucco is a perfectly viable and attractive option. And when I say stucco, I mean three coat cementious stucco, not synthetic.