Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #1

Share |

Cubby above a closet

Hi everyone,

I don't know how to finish off a cubby above a closet.

I'll explain where it is, I have a split entry home and when you walk in my front door there is a closet to the right, well on the other side of that wall is a bedroom and above the closet that is in the front porch there is a cubby in the bedroom that goes to the ceiling. so there is esantially a half wall and then a opening that is 32" deap and 74" wide a to the ceiling

I have a tv connection and recepticle there for a tv because it will eventually be a kids room.

I have a couple ideas to finish the platform or bottom of the cubby and wanted to run this by everyone and take suggestions as well.

1) Sheet of mdf painted white and trimed with 3" baseboard from the mdf to the wall or possibly painted the same color as the walls so it wouldn't just be this big white platform

2) pine boards glued together and urethaned and trimed the same as above.

3) Drywall and use round outside corner to have the wall underneath the platform blend into the platform and paint it all the same color as the room.

any ideas will be greatly appreciated i can post a picture as well if it will make it easier for people to picture what i'm talking about.

Thanks

nlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Cubby above a closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlmedic View Post
i can post a picture as well if it will make it easier for people to picture what i'm talking about.

Yeah, I think pictures would definitely help.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #3

Cubby above a closet

Here are some pics I think this will help

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Cubby above a closet

I would go with MDF. Getting pine boards secured flat and even would be difficult, and drywall would get damaged too easily.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Is this wire Hot?

Cubby above a closet

How about putting a nice countertop in there. It would be very sturdy and durable for your future TV and "future" kids.
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #6

Cubby above a closet

That's the direction I was going as well. I was also going to have it overhang the edge an inch or two and put a small piece of crown under it like an apron for a window.

Do you think I should paint it the same color as the walls and have the trim white or paint it all white? I didnt know if it would look odd if it was white. It could have a cushion up there for a kids bed or play spot or even just a spot for books or Teddy bears or what not.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #7

Cubby above a closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Fudge
How about putting a nice countertop in there. It would be very sturdy and durable for your future TV and "future" kids.
Hey the counter top idea is interesting as well. I could still trim around the walls with 3" baseboard and the counter top would cover the edge as well.