Crumbling Furnace Chimney, Can It Be Removed? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Hello, I need help!
8 years ago I replaced my home's original furnace. The contractor did not put a liner in. Since then, slowly but surely the chimney has deteriorated from the ground up. I have had several masons out for estimates. Each was more than I could afford. Finally one suggested, because of today's high efficiency furnaces, the chimney could be removed. Is this an alternative?

Advertisement

EyeAtDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,318
Rewards Points: 3,274
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


re you planning to change to a high efficiency furnace?

Advertisement

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,420
Rewards Points: 2,502
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


EyeatDIY, I took a couple of bids to take down our chimney, that used to be for the Octopus furnace, and both came around $1500. One was to tear below the roof line and rebuild, the other was to tear, leave the debris inside the flue at the bottom, and fix the roof where it used to be.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
re you planning to change to a high efficiency furnace?
thanks for your responce...
Yes, I will if it cost effective. The contractor I feel the most confident in, quoted 4,800 to tear down and rebuild the chimney.

What i have to consider...
Quoted, cost of new high efficiency furnace including installation is 2,300.
The hot water heater's need of ventilation(?)
Tearing down the old chimney (?)
Cost of Re-bricking ( coming up with a pleasing aesthetic... Original brick is not available)(?)
Roof modification (?)

Ultimately... Is there one professional who can help me determine what I should do? A general contractor, mason, heating and cooling, roof or what?

Hmmm?
EyeAtDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeAtDIY View Post
thanks for your responce...
Yes, I will if it cost effective. The contractor I feel the most confident in, quoted 4,800 to tear down and rebuild the chimney.

What i have to consider...
Quoted, cost of new high efficiency furnace including installation is 2,300.
The hot water heater's need of ventilation(?)
Tearing down the old chimney (?)
Cost of Re-bricking ( coming up with a pleasing aesthetic... Original brick is not available)(?)
Roof modification (?)

Ultimately... Is there one professional who can help me determine what I should do? A general contractor, mason, heating and cooling, roof or what?

Hmmm?
Go for the high efficiency furnace and hot water. Then tear the old chimney down. You will never regret it.
In my house I already had a h/e furnace, so when I had a new roof put on, I had the roofers remove the old chimney.
They charged me $300 extra to do this. Including closing the hole in the roof!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,318
Rewards Points: 3,274
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


By all means upgrade the furnace and water heater and get rid if the old chimney--

There are a bunch of good HVAC tecs here--one will chime in soon enough--Mike---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Hvac?
EyeAtDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie

Go for the high efficiency furnace and hot water. Then tear the old chimney down. You will never regret it.
In my house I already had a h/e furnace, so when I had a new roof put on, I had the roofers remove the old chimney.
They charged me $300 extra to do this. Including closing the hole in the roof!
The roof, furnace and hot hot water heater are all relatively new. And in good working order. Is there a market for used furnaces and/or hot water heaters?
EyeAtDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,318
Rewards Points: 3,274
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


HVAC--Heating--ventilating--air conditioning--

We have a section just for that type of question--hvac ! If you have questions about what system will be best for your home--post there--Mike---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
HVAC--Heating--ventilating--air conditioning--

We have a section just for that type of question--hvac ! If you have questions about what system will be best for your home--post there--Mike---
Cost is a HUGE factor! I just pulled the brochure of my existing furnace and hot water heater.
What should I look for to see if my furnace needs the chimney?
EyeAtDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeAtDIY
Cost is a HUGE factor! I just pulled the brochure of my existing furnace and hot water heater.
What should I look for to see if my furnace needs the chimney?
"user information Manual." says it is power ventilated gas furnace. Is that adequate?
EyeAtDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,318
Rewards Points: 3,274
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeAtDIY View Post
"user information Manual." says it is power ventilated gas furnace. Is that adequate?
Start a new post in 'HVAC' those guys will answer your questions---

Most of them never look into the 'Building and construction section---

Just a suggestion----Mike----
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeAtDIY View Post
The roof, furnace and hot hot water heater are all relatively new. And in good working order. Is there a market for used furnaces and/or hot water heaters?
For the hot water heater there is likely a good market for these. For the furnace, not likely because it costs too much to install them, for the limited remaining lifespan.

New furnaces are available, at good prices these days, so you will have to weigh the cost of a h/e furnace against the cost of the chimney.

I would only consider redoing the chimney only as a last resort.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike

Start a new post in 'HVAC' those guys will answer your questions---

Most of them never look into the 'Building and construction section---

Just a suggestion----Mike----
New to the chat, Just understood your suggestion, Will do! Thanks so much!
EyeAtDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Crumbling furnace chimney, can it be removed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie

For the hot water heater there is likely a good market for these. For the furnace, not likely because it costs too much to install them, for the limited remaining lifespan.

New furnaces are available, at good prices these days, so you will have to weigh the cost of a h/e furnace against the cost of the chimney.

I would only consider redoing the chimney only as a last resort.
Thank you!

Advertisement

EyeAtDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drywall is wet from some water source?? PeggyMD HVAC 14 11-25-2010 03:25 PM
Furnace, Range Hood Share Chimney? jamieofansa HVAC 2 10-17-2010 09:02 PM
Chimney cap crumbling: any solution Pminca Roofing/Siding 6 01-31-2009 07:04 PM
Oil furnace does not fire up sbhavinm HVAC 5 01-17-2009 08:06 AM
Roof Leak Around Chimney robertr4836 Roofing/Siding 3 03-11-2008 12:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts