Cross Beams In Ceiling Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Exclamation

Cross beams in ceiling joists

Can these cross beams be removed completely or should they be put back up once i'm done?
Attached Thumbnails
Cross beams in ceiling joists-100_3393.jpg  

Advertisement

Mijotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

These are called bridging. They transfer a load by compression from the top of one joist to the bottom of one on either side. They reduce flexing, (some bouncing of the floor), of one joist at a time so they should go back in.

Advertisement

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 534

You also need to look into getting that mold treated that's growing on the joist.
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/timbor.htm
Is there a 6 mil. vaper barrier on the ground?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you pulled them out completely, you may want to buy some metal replacements http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...tb.asp#tables2 as the existing wood cross-bridging (9% effective for deflection) are almost impossible to re-nail at the top of joist, high enough. OR, just add a full size blocking (15% effective) between the removed ones, or add 1x4 strapping to the bottoms (25% effective/deflection)of all after replacing; http://www.ewpa.com/Archive/2004/jun/Paper_278.pdf

Gary
Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #5

Wow thanks guys for all your responses. Can the cross beams be glued back between the joists?

No there is just a concrete slab. But I am in the process of insulating it very well now(walls, rim joists, ceiling)

I'm putting drywall up in between the joists so can the cross beams be lowered to accommodate the 5/8" drywall?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

Those are not cross beams, they are X bracing as previously described. There is no effective way to glue wooden X bracing in place. If you need to get the bracing out of the way to allow installation of drywall, you can install steel X bracing as previously discussed by GBR.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #7

"I'm putting drywall up in between the joists so can the cross beams be lowered to accommodate the 5/8" drywall?"---------- I don't understand. Why would you install drywall above the cross-bridging? Why against the flooring? I must be missing a thought here.....

Gary
Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #8

It's for soundproofing purposes. Drywall and Greenglue against the subflooring. So can they go back up just a little lower 5/8" because of the drywall?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #9

Ahh... Appears you need to shorten a few that flush at the joist bottom. Leave a space between opposing ones so they don't rub/squeak. I usually clip the "air-nails" or "shiners" that miss the joist from above, same reason.

Gary
Old 12-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #10

awesome thank you very much.

Advertisement

Tags
basement , ceiling , drywall , floor , joist