Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #1

Share |

Cripple Wall Repair, Need Help

iMembers,
I need some advice here on how best to repair some termite damage to the cripple wall (I apologize if I am improperly labeling this). I am not sure if you can tell by the pictures, but in the corner where the two walls meet the termites have done some damage. We have been told by the termite inspection associate and two independent builders that it is cosmetic, however my wife and I are in the process selling the home so we want to make all necessary repairs prior to list date. This is the process I had in mind, but wanted someone else to run through it and give any and all suggestions possible to ensure a stable solution.

1. Remove cross brace(This is not part of a floor joist, nor do any other corners of the basement have it)

2. Carefully remove the mending plates that are attached

3. Approximately 6 inches from the damaged corner, make a straight cut on the 2x4 (shown in my sketch where the white and green pieces meet)

4. Pull out damaged sections and cut a new piece of 2x4 to replace both pieces that were pulled out (shown by the green and blue pieces)

5. Install the new pieces
6. THIS IS WHERE I NEED THE MOST HELP, I NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO TIE IN THE OLD WITH THE NEW PIECE? Can I place a supporting 2x4 underneath as the sketch shows and use a mending plate to hold it together or can someone please suggest a better option?

I appreciate all the advice that I can get and if there is a better way of accomplishing this task, please let me know. I thank you all in advance.

Steve

Last edited by powlu1sl; 04-25-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: remove pictures
powlu1sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #2

Well Steve I agree with the assessments. It really does look as though it is just cosmetic damage, but I can also appreciate that fact that you both want to make things right.

Your detailed steps to fix the problem seem to be right in line with how it should be repaired, however......

Consider this: Based [only] on the pictures that you present, it really does appears to me anyway that this is not a major structural concern, hence the assessments made by 3 separate parties to that effect.

So, in the end you theoretically would be left with same situation. "having to answer about that corner and why it looks that way" whether you leave it as is or repair it.

I've been in a few homes over the years and every time [for us anyway] our concerns were always more about:

• are the rooms big enough?
  • will furniture we have fit?
  • is the kitchen updated?
  • are the windows to old?
  • what are the major concerns with the house?
And if I was buying this home and the owner showed proof to me that 3 separate individuals....ALONG with my home inspector stated that this damage was not structural and the termites are gone...I wouldn't blink an eye.

But if you still feel strongly about repairing it, the way you have suggested is the way I would do it. And here's a tip:

Rent a multi-master!!

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #3

Closeup pictures are very helpful but we also need to see the bigger picture. Can you provide a pic of the whole area? For now. I'll have to guess...

This to me looks like a floor truss. Trusses, be it roof or floor, have one rule of thumb...dont mess with them. Dont cut, dont alter, don't disassemble. The gusset plates are key to their strength. Removing one and reattaching it is likely to weaken the connection. Also these plates are not designed to be installed by hand, so forget about mending new joints with additional similar plates.

Heed the advice youve gotten. Let it be. That's my advice. You might turn a small problem into a bigger one
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
Closeup pictures are very helpful but we also need to see the bigger picture. Can you provide a pic of the whole area? For now. I'll have to guess...

This to me looks like a floor truss. Trusses, be it roof or floor, have one rule of thumb...dont mess with them. Dont cut, dont alter, don't disassemble. The gusset plates are key to their strength. Removing one and reattaching it is likely to weaken the connection. Also these plates are not designed to be installed by hand, so forget about mending new joints with additional similar plates.

Heed the advice youve gotten. Let it be. That's my advice. You might turn a small problem into a bigger one
Yes I agree. I neglected to mention this very point.

And those gussets are not meant to be removed and if you do, I'm sure it will be a task in itself.

Thanks Cortell for the indirect reminder that when posting in here , all things need to be considered.

www.crossworksme.com
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

that damaged piece looks like a nailer for the sub flooring instead of part of the actual truss system because it is a different type wood than from the truss manufacturer. this is just speculation derived from viewing the pics though. They probably added that piece on site as the truss floor system was being built.

you can see trail where the termites came up through the inside corner

Last edited by hand drive; 04-25-2012 at 09:07 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #6

Sorry Guys for the lack of pictures, I have attached a few more to hopefully give a bigger picture. The Mrs. and I both want to get this taken care of so the sale goes off without a hitch. We have been in contact with a repair company, we were just hoping to get it taken care of sooner than later.

We did have to do work elsewhere in the basement because of severe termite damage along the far wall in the large image picture(Where there is no termite damage in the picture). What would be the best way to strengthen a connection there?

Last edited by powlu1sl; 04-25-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: remove pictures
Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

Problem solved...calling in the Pro's to get this one done. Although it may not be necessary to repair we will and have our conscience clear when selling the home. I appreciate all of the advice. You guys are awesome.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powlu1sl
Problem solved...calling in the Pro's to get this one done. Although it may not be necessary to repair we will and have our conscience clear when selling the home. I appreciate all of the advice. You guys are awesome.
Kudos to you. This world needs more people with your sense of responsibility.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cortell For This Useful Post:
AtlanticWBConst. (04-25-2012), powlu1sl (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #9

Man...I love a good DIY challenge...however there is a time and place. You can't win them all and need to know when to call the pros in.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by powlu1sl View Post
Well I agree, having a clear conscience is certainly a step in the right direction.

www.crossworksme.com