Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Creating a laundry room out of a closet

So we moved into a 70's era house with no laundry room. We have a hallway near our rooms where our "laundry room" is. I would like to move it to another location in the house, and am really fighting the urge to punch a hole and build a whole new room on an exterior wall. I've included the current and potential new location of the laundry room. Problem is, I feel like going from one closet to another is counter productive but would help the bottom line in the long run. I was just looking to see if any on here have done something like this and what was your thought process and final out come? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Creating a laundry room out of a closet-image-4193816320.jpg   Creating a laundry room out of a closet-image-777723568.jpg   Creating a laundry room out of a closet-image-1676522035.jpg  

DIbrYan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #2

I forgot to mention, the new closet size is roughly 10 ft wide by 20 in deep so I would have to come out into the room a little bit.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,030

At 10' wide you will have lots of room for shelves on the side to put laundry baskets on.

We usually make a laundry closet about 3' deep, but you could measure your machines, and other new ones and see what minimum you could use.
Have you also thought out the electrical needs, venting needs, and plumbing needs?

An addition would probably be nice but more costly.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #4

Yeah, lucky for me there is a bathroom main drain and hot and cold water about 20 ft from the spot. I thought about a studer vent instead of running a new stack. I will have a plumber install the water. I believe there is 220 close in the garage, but if not the electrical box is within 30 ft through the crawl space. My only concern is the shallow depth of closet, as my machines are 25" deep. I might turn sideways facing each other as I think they are slimmer that way. I am thinking I could do this for about 2 grand ( got an estimate for 850.00 from plumber) versus I think upwards of 5-6 on the low side to add a room.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

Add about 8 t0 10 inches to the depth of the dryer for the vent piping---you can't put a dryer tight to the wall.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,030

There are "plates" that go in the wall and your dryer connects to it, can gain you a few inches

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote