Create Garage Ceiling For Insulating - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Create Garage Ceiling For Insulating

I'm seeking the best way to create a ceiling for this attached garage in order to insulate it for round the clock heating in Michigan during winter. It is approx 22x23 with 2x6 16" OC rafters and a box-beam along the ridge. As you can see it has no joists. The garage door chain and part of the railings are higher than the walls.

I am want to create 2x6 or 2x8 ceiling joists attached to the center beam with joists hangers and run across to each rafter (approximately an 8 foot span on each side). This would be above the wall and eliminate any issues with the garage door and opener. Would there be any issues doing this? Could this cause the roof to collapse somehow? Would this weaken the center beam?

Is this an acceptable method of creating a ceiling? Is there an easier way that I am not thinking of? THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Create Garage Ceiling For Insulating-garage1.jpg   Create Garage Ceiling For Insulating-garage2.jpg   Create Garage Ceiling For Insulating-garage3.jpg  

Advertisement

traeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I would attach the ceiling panels to the sloped rafters. High garage ceilings are envied by those who don't have them and adding a ceiling structure would be an additional cost to just finishing the roof system. If you want more insulation than the 2x6 rafters will provide, then you can either put a rigid insulation board over the joists before finishing or you can fur out the rafters with 2x3 purlin type furring to give you an additional 1-1/2" of insulating space.

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Dytecture

Rewards Points: 75

I would suggest attaching 2x4s to your existing joists to thicken them up so you have room to put insulation between them and drywall over it.
dytecture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,646

2 Good options....but seeing how I'm a garage guy myself....rule #2 of garages....never enough storage space. (Rule #1, the garage is never big enough)

I'm inclined to agree with your idea. 2x8's Will span the width....and without hangers off the center beam would still be within the limit for ceiling joists....though I'm slightly confused on your #'s.....you say 8' span to either side of the ridge beam...but yet the size of the garage is 22x23? I think your a few feet short somewhere....

Anyway, according to my chart, 2x8 on 16 OC can span 23'. Tie the middle in with the ridge beam which would sort of make a roof truss....I think you would also has some available space for light weight storage....

And yes, without a doubt, I would suggest putting some 1/2" plywood up there to walk on...insulation would be under it....just make sure you have a few vent holes....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Problem with adding a floor system for storage is it encroaches on that #1 rule. The current center beam is above the would-be ceiling line, so you would have to add a load bearing beam down the middle to support the ceiling joists. That'll be a pretty big beam if you are looking at clear span. Otherwise the ultimate pain in a garage (a column) would have to be added. Now you've got an involved and pricey project that leaves you with either a column or reduced headroom. I'll vote again on finishing the rafters and spending part of the money you would have on some nice, custom built shevles...