Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Crawlspace vs. basement

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on the pros & cons of an unfinished basement rather than a crawlspace. A basement will allow for the cisterns & water pumps, but is it worth the extra cost? How much does it usually cost $/SF for an unfinished basement? For a footing? Thanks for any feedback.

dragonfly100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Crawlspace vs. basement

depends on your location. some areas will flood, others may be in rock. A full basement leaves space for finishing later and for utilities. If you already have room for these, a full basement is not worth the expense.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Crawlspace vs. basement

After having to crawl in my crawl space when it was 34 degrees outside and the float was stuck on my sump pump, I will NEVER have another crawl space. I am not interested in the frig water ever filling my boots again. In fact, I have sold my home and am going to build full ICF.
BobTCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Crawlspace vs. basement

You are essentially doubling your potential square footage by having a basement. This increases the value of the property significantly. Why wouldn't you pay the extra expense for a basement?
Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Crawlspace vs. basement

Had a friend only put a crawl space under an addition
He regretted not having the basement space ever since
When looking at houses to buy we wouldn't look at any house that did not have a basement. One house we really like, but the big addition they put on only had a 5' crawlspace - we passed
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Crawlspace vs. basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Had a friend only put a crawl space under an addition
He regretted not having the basement space ever since
When looking at houses to buy we wouldn't look at any house that did not have a basement. One house we really like, but the big addition they put on only had a 5' crawlspace - we passed
I was thinking the same thing. What is normal in your area? If full basements are the norm, I would definately put one in. I live in an area of the country where most homes have a full basement. When we were in the market, we instantly removed any homes without a basement from the list. If a full basement is uncommon in your area, that's another story.

Have you called around and received estimates on both methods? It's the only way to make an educated decision.