Crawlspace Vapor Barrier Questions - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 75

Crawlspace vapor barrier questions

I have a 100 year old 1000sq ft home on a concrete foundation with a 4ft crawlspace. I have done everything in my power to direct water away from the foundation by directing downspouts and grading where possible but there are two issues: one is Im in the city and neighboring homes are only 10ft away on either side and two, the terrain slopes slightly and the house was not built with this in mind and cannot be graded without extensive work. The crawlspace has four large vents

That said, my crawlspace's bare soil is damp most of the year. There is one corner of the crawlspace that is particularly damp and water seems to saturate from underground. Above this damp area there has been minor mold issues in the rooms so before the rains come this year I'd like to lay down a vapor barrier to hopefully minimize moisture vapor.

The crawlspace's soil floor is very rocky with debris and I worry about laying down plastic, even 6 mil. Im likely to be crawling around on top of the plastic in the future and I dont want it punctured. Would laying down geotextile fabric first help?

Any advice regarding the situation would be appreciated

Advertisement

Last edited by dwoloz; 09-28-2013 at 11:53 PM.
dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 678

Sounds like you also need a drain tile and sump pump pit in that crawl space.
Have you had that mold treated with anything yet?
A product like Timbor, or Boracare is called for not bleach.

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,708

hey joe/guys. just thinking out loud here. but wouldn't, in this case, the plastic serve better if it was stapled to the underside of the joists ?
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

The vapor barrier needs to be on the ground. Doing so helps keep the moisture out of the crawlspace.

For your type of rocky ground, I would highly recommend StegoWrap in the 15 or 20 mil thickness. It's an incredibly tough product, and it's what I used in my crawlspace.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote