Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Gus

Share |

Crawlspace insulation reccomendation

I have a small crawl space (30 sq.ft.) under my entry way (the rest of the house is basement). There is no insulation in the crawl space, and the floor is extremely cold. The house was built in 1940 so there is no ventilation in the crawl space. It seems to be fairly air tight, but I found when I crawled in there some mold on the floor joists that was all dried up and the dirt was completely dry.
So from what I can tell I need to put in a vapor barrier over the dirt and seal it to the foundation. And then some sort of insulation between the joists and I'm not sure if I should use rigid insulation or fiberglass batting. Also should I add vents, there is only one side that you could add the vent to so you wouldn't really get any cross ventilation. I'm not sure if this matters, but the foundation is made of cinder block and all the outer walls are completely cinder block all the way to the roof.

Thanks
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #2

forget batt or board stock - get a do it yourself foam kit - 105 board foot kit by Fomo or Instafoam will do and spray the rim joists and flooring between joists. This will keep any cold air from getting at floor. Be sure to wear appropriate mask while spraying as foam is toxic when being sprayed. Supply houses in your area should have the kits and they are self contained. Disposal is easy when done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
I have a small crawl space (30 sq.ft.) under my entry way (the rest of the house is basement). There is no insulation in the crawl space, and the floor is extremely cold. The house was built in 1940 so there is no ventilation in the crawl space. It seems to be fairly air tight, but I found when I crawled in there some mold on the floor joists that was all dried up and the dirt was completely dry.
So from what I can tell I need to put in a vapor barrier over the dirt and seal it to the foundation. And then some sort of insulation between the joists and I'm not sure if I should use rigid insulation or fiberglass batting. Also should I add vents, there is only one side that you could add the vent to so you wouldn't really get any cross ventilation. I'm not sure if this matters, but the foundation is made of cinder block and all the outer walls are completely cinder block all the way to the roof.

Thanks
swede8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #3

We have been spraying foam insulation in central Iowa for almost thirty years. The spray foam product is what you want to use - batt is like a cigarette filter - the cold air just bypasses it to get to the floor. same way with board stock, hard to cut and fit. check out thekits.
swede8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Gus

Thanks, for the info, that sounds a lot better. Should Home Depot, Lowes or Menards have the kits? Are they a can you spray or a machine that you rent?
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote