Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #1

Share |

Crawlspace foundation repair

Hi all, new here. I've got a house built in 1957 with a crawlspace. I did some extensive remodeling to the house (new windows, drywall, flooring, etc) and finished up a few months ago. I've recently started getting some cracks on the interior above a couple of doors and windows. I've also got some matching cracks on the exterior brick veneer in the problem areas.

I've had 4 foundation repair companies come take a look so far.

Company A - Guy did a 10 min walk around the house and pointed out several cracks in the brick, most did not have large gaps. Measured the house and said I need $18k worth of piers...

Company B - Guy did same 10 min walk as above but said I only needed to pier 2 walls (8-10 piers, $600/ea) and mentioned that I might need some crawlspace supports in my master bedroom.

Company C - My fiance was here for this but the guy did a walk around the inside and outside and spent almost an hour under the house and discover a cracked joist under the kitchen. Said I need 14 piers at various places around the house as well as 27 pad and block supports (3 new stem walls) under the house b/c there is nothing there. Wants $10k for concrete piers and 12.5k for steel piers, both include replacing the broken joist and pad and block supports.

Company D - similar to company C but seemed like more of a mom and pop shop and were very sporadic and confusing about the types of things they would do. Said I only need 9 piers and 38 pad and block supports to the tune of $12k. They only use concrete piers.

I have one more company coming out this Friday to get another opinion. I have no experience with foundation repair, which is better, concrete or steel piers? All of these claim a lifetime warranty, so does it really matter?

BTW - I live in OKC, OK.

bmrsnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
so does it really matter?
Nope,... No really,...
Both steel or concrete are Forever if installed properly...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
bmrsnr (01-17-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #3

OK, that's pretty much what I figured. I learned that the steel pier Company C installs are actually steel and concrete. Do you think it's worth the extra $1500 for these?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

conc footers for steel piers/columns,,, i vote for c ! only you can decide if the addl $ 1,500 is value or not,,, think of it this way - what's your home worth if you do NOT have the work done ?

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #5

I'm definitely going to have the work done, just wanted to get more information on steel vs. concrete piers. Looks like I'm most likely gonna go with the concrete piers.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

You may wish to consider hiring an independent structural engineer to examine your house, determine the cause of the problems, and recommend the best solution. So far you have invited 5 or so companies with a vested interest in their particular technique to bid, however you cannot have any assurance about which is the best solution for your problem until you get a disinterested party to evaluate.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

good point, dan we don't often find concrete piers under residential floors however we do find conc pads & adjustable steel colums

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Excellent point Dan.

I oftentimes suggest the same thing to potential customers when I get a "vibe" that they don't quite trust or believe me when it comes to foundation repairs. Having a report from a structural engineer will also give the 5 contractors a clear, concise scope of work to bid on, and their numbers shouldn't seem nearly as eratic as what you're seeing now. Money well spent IMO.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #9

attending world of conc rather'n hanging out here ?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

I wish, but it's more like "preparing for tax season, plowing snow, and changing diapers.........."
Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #11

Thanks for the advice. I'll call around and get a structural engineer out asap. Do they charge a flat fee or by the hour? How much is a reasonable price for something like this?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:14 AM   #12

new biz consolidation ?,,, now its ' jomama's conc, tax prep, & day care svce ' ? the only diaper svce we offer is to grandkids did have more than our share of snow recently, tho,,, think atl has 10 plows from the looks of how dot handled the dump being stranded in our development for 3 days can prove stimulating at times

Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Now you're really dating yourself pal...... this is my first born...........

I was surprised to read that your area got 10" of snow here. That's crazy!! We've got about 25" for the season (we're way behind average) but the biggest event so far has only been about 7". Glad to hear you made it through the mess OK..........