Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Crawl space wrap

Where can I buy and under what brand name a crawl space wrap so I can clean up my crawl?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #2

Crawl space wrap

Most crawls are covered with poly and carefully sealed in my area. This as a moisture barrier, but I guess it leaves the are looking and smelling clean.

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Crawl space wrap

Poured cement is best way to go imo, much cleaner. I'm even planing to paint mine along with the basement itself.

Makes a great storage area too.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #4

Crawl space wrap

nice workspace for santa's elves
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Crawl space wrap

Haha yeah. It would also make a nice grow op. I always joke about that to people. "Yeah just added more lights to the grow op, I'm going green in more ways then one, used CCFLs!"

(watch now that I posted that I will get a raid by the RCMP)
Old 12-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #6

Crawl space wrap

Ahhhh..... now I understand why the RCMP seem so friendly compared to our south of the border law enforcement....lol

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #7

Crawl space wrap

Red squirrel: looks great. Did you have the concrete poured in the crawl after the house was built? If so, how hard was it to do, and how long did the concrete smell permeate the house?
walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:37 AM   #8

Crawl space wrap

we use 20mm avail at any const supply house,,, comes in 12' x 100' rolls,,, have noticed apron stores're carryin' suitable membrane stuff in the exterior gardening area.

imn-s-hfo, there's NO paint that'll adhere to conc - especially if there's no vapor barrier under it.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Wire Chewer

Crawl space wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkman View Post
Red squirrel: looks great. Did you have the concrete poured in the crawl after the house was built? If so, how hard was it to do, and how long did the concrete smell permeate the house?
Was done before I'm guessing. The house was built in 1965. There's also a mini crawlspace under the garage but it's not as nice looking. The spiders tend to hang out in there as it's really dirty. I need to totally clean it out some day and also pour some self leveling cement, the current cement has cracked away at the edges due to weather. There's not enough circulation in there from conditioned air so it gets very cold.

Also here crawlspaces aren't vented here, but they are treated as being inside the house. I think this makes all the difference, vented crawlspaces tend to get very moist from water getting through the vents and cold air condensing against the joists etc...
Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #10

Crawl space wrap

I'm in the middle of sealing my crawlspace with 15 mil Stego wrap. Yes it is a lot more expensive than the thin plastic you get at Wal Mart or HD but the punture resistance and toughness of the material is worth it. Get the red tape that goes with it to seal the seams.

This is sold at builder supplier stores and you may have to look around to find one. I emailed the rep from the website and got a list of two suppliers in my town (Huntsville AL).

FWIW, concrete is not a good moisture barrrier.

http://www.stegoindustries.com/
ericb1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #11

Crawl space wrap

stego's often spec'd for vapor barrier under conc these days,,, don't misunderstand my comment on the apron store - this mtl was found in the garden section,,, off-hand i'd say it was 50mm,,, as most, i don't think there's a whole helluva lot worthwhile at the apron stores UNLESS you trust the brand name - even then, its still caveat emptor imn-s-hfo

as i recall, according to aci, conc's only wtrproof IF its 5,000psi

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote