Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
MLO

Rewards Points: 75

Crawl space venting...

I have to vent (per code) an addition being built on a 50's home that originally had no venting. It has a brick facade and I am considering venting through the rim-joice as opposed to the foundation. My main reason is "ease" of task and aesthetics.

I can upgrade the rest of the homes crawl space specs and add vents through the rim-joice at a later date, much easier than busting through the existing foundation and patching areas. The house also sits barely six inches above landscaped grade and I hate to have to try and blend everything in to make room for the vents which will need near 8 inches minimum. I like the aesthetics of as little foundation showing as possible, especially with the brick facade.

Anyone have experience or insight on this dilemia? how about opinions on the aesthetics of using quality vents through the brick and rim-joice?

MLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Crawl space venting...

The grade of aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't recommend trading aesthetics for functionality. If ease of the task is lighter, and you still have adequate ventilation, yea do it that way, but remember how important the vent is to the air flow in your crawl space. The house may look good for now, but will the house still be sound in the future?

fqp25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Crawl space venting...

Check for crawlspace venting code, if any, with your local Building Inspection Department.
Here, in a high flood zone area, they must be a certain height and distance apart.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote