Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Crawl Space ventilation with Smart Vent System

Hello all, newbie here. I am researching the Smart Vent system to ventilate my crawl space. I live in South Carolina. My current moisture readings underneath are 16%. I am seeing a fair amount of mold spores on the floor joists. The house is about 5 years old and does not have a vapor barrier. I am planning to install the vapor barrier this weekend. I also have a french drain system underneath the house. Moisture comes through at foundation level during excessive rain but leaves the day after the rain. I have attached a sketch for your review. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Sincerely,

srb1194
Attached Thumbnails
Crawl Space ventilation with Smart Vent System-smart-vent-proposal.jpg  

srb1194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #2

The mold is from no ground cover and the joist bottoms exposed to the space's temperature: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...n-crawlspaces/
http://dirt-crawl-spaces.com/crawlspace-venting.html My location: http://www.energy.wsu.edu/documents/...awl_Spaces.pdf
Be safe, Gary

Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #3

It is widely assumed that moving air through the crawlspace will 'dry' out the area. Not necessarily so. I live in North Carolina have a crawl space, so have some personal experience with the issue. Moving moist humid air is still moist air. It could cause more moisture. First, you should start with the easy stuff, which is to install a vapor barrier and seal the vapor barrier to the foundation walls. Then measure the area after it has stabilized and compare it to your prior reading. You should look at your outside drainage to see if water is carried into your foundation. Landscaping and vegetation near the foundation are also suspects.
burgman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I am doing the moisture barrier at the present time. Check out the info on Smart Vent @ smartvent.net. There system has parameters set so that it will not bring in air unless certain conditions persist. I still feel that this system will benefit my crawl space. Check it out.

srb1194
srb1194 is offline   Reply With Quote