Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Crawl space problems, sill plates and rotted boards!

Hello everyone,
My name is Tammy, I currently reside in Illinois and my husband and I are trying to sell our home. We have had two inspectors tell us that the sill plates are covered, and many of the supporting boards are rotted. One of the inspectors said that it could cost up to $40,000 to fix our problem! my property is only worth $119,000. Could anyone please give me some advice on who to contact, or even if this sounds right? Thank You, Tammy.

twhited29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #2

You would call contractors who do this work and get estimates. There should be a general consensus as to the extent of the damage, though estimates will tend to vary in price.
Critical to the job is detailing the exact amount of damage there is, so when the estimates come in you can see who has done a thorough job of inspection.
And there is still the possibility that the damage has risen to places not exposed, so the inspector didn't see it. This will only be evident when the demo has started. Something caused the damage. Find the source and you probably find most of the damage.
Were there leaks in the bath?. Roof? Gutters clogged? Incorrect grading?
That amount of damage should have raised a red flag sometime.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #3

Hello Ron,
Thanks for the advice, our real estate agent is trying to get us an appointment with a local company that fixes structural damage. So, now we play the waiting game.
About your other questions, no we have not had any leaks, and as far as I know we do not have any problems with our gutters. What we are thinking is that when we bought the house 4 years ago, the inspector did not do his job correctly and now we are suffering from his mistakes!
Thanks again for the advice, take care Tammy.
twhited29 is offline   Reply With Quote