DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Crawl space insulation questions

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Earnie 
#1 ·
How much insulation is needed to insulate a 168 sq ft crawlspace floor above and what type is necessary for the job!!!

#2 ·
How insulation is needed to insulate a 168 sq ft crawlspace floor above an what type is necessary for the job!!!
Gates, do a search on youtube "Crawlspace Insulation" and you can find some good information from companies such as Owen Corning, Johns Manville, and some private contractors. I was recently looking into this and I believe they recommended R-19 which you can double check on Owens Corning website.

There is also the question of if it's a vented crawl space or not a vented crawl space. Main difference here I learned is a vented crawl space does not get the walls insulated (although mine are from the previous owner) while non-vented crawl spaces you can insulate the walls with foam boards, batts, etc...If you lay batts between the floor joists, paper side usually goes toward the warm part of the house which would be your floor.

#3 ·
There's too many factors that can truely determine this. Idealy the more R value the better, BUT you also want an air seal. Just shoving a bunch of fiber glass is not going to do if it's a damp unconditioned crawlspace.

I'm getting a company to do expanding foam in a small crawlspace I have. It's conditioned space and is entirely concrete, even the ceiling. They'll be putting in 3" R18. Will provide air seal and thermal. Not cheap though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.