Crawl Space And Insulation.. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Crawl space and insulation..

I have a crawl space that is approx 15x20. Currently the insulation is exposed in the above beams and is starting to hang down. Looks like cotton candy..for lack of better terms...and I wanted to replace it. I was wondering if there was a way to keep that from happening. The space is not heated of course and the is plenty of ventilation. I was thinking a thick plastic staples up to the beams to hold it there and possibly sealing off the above cavities...and proper textbook way to insulate in between the beams and keeping it from having sagging fibers...thanks in advance for the help.....

Advertisement

valcarmo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

They make little metal rods(sorry forget actual name) that are wider than bay that u arch up into the bay to hold up the insulation

Advertisement

kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #3

Those are already in place. That how the insulation is being held up. The insulation doesn't have waves in it its just the fibers are stringy now and I almost looks like someone was pulling cotton candy. Sorry only way to describe it...I read 3mil plastic sheeting to keep out moisture..maybe the fluctuation in humidity is doing it. What really wanna know is what is the best way to insulate a crawl space using fiberglass for the joists....the rods hold it in place but what else....Thx again
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

ouch. tear that crap out and replace it with Roxul and rigid foam on the bottoms of the floor joists. tape the edges/ends of the foam and install a 6 or 8 mil visqueen vapor barrier on the floor. search here; lots of threads on insulating crawl spaces.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,472

thinking of tiger teeth ? you could always staple mesh fabric to hold the f/g in place,,, 6mil's popular 'cause apron/vest stores sell it cheap & those stores are EVERYWHERE IF you want a decent vapor barrier that will stand up to crawling/duckwalking/scootching w/o ripping/tearing/shifting, find something substantial,,,we use stego (no financial interest),,, might be overkill but no client has yet complained when we demonstrate its superiority over 6mil stuff

Last edited by stadry; 02-20-2013 at 07:06 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

Just saw the Roxul video on their website...defintanelty switch out the fiber for this stuff when its gets warmer. Mold and Mildew resistent. What better can you ask for in a crawl space...thx for the help
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

stego wrap is 10x what 6 mil visqueen is; very tough stuff. it costs much more than visqueen, and for a reason. i'd use it in a heartbeat.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
valcarmo72 (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,472

just found out we're got a condo crawl space to fix so will do that after the fl trip 6mil's in there now + f/g,,, we were the highest $ but the 2 other bidders said they'd use the 6mil again will grab up some stego & tiger teeth then be outta there in 1 day after all, SOMEONE's gotta pay my greens fees, right ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 266

Here is a link about venting crawlspaces. Might make you reconsider your plan.

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...in-crawlspaces

Advertisement

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Sal For This Useful Post: