Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

crawl space insulation

Can I improve insulation of floor of 4 seasons room with rigid foam insulation added to bottom of joists? Joists are insulated with fiberglass batts and 6 mil film is on ground covered with gravel. No foundation. 12x16 room supported on piers. Thank you.

cecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

crawl space insulation

The PIR / PUR rigid boards are far more efficient as insulants than fibreglass batts. Cut the boards to fit tightly between the joists and then drive a few nails in at an angle below in the sides of the joists to stop the boards dropping down.

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

crawl space insulation

If no vinyl above, may need to cover f.b. for code: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...n-crawlspaces/

Gary
tony.g (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

crawl space insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecker View Post
Can I improve insulation of floor of 4 seasons room with rigid foam insulation added to bottom of joists? Joists are insulated with fiberglass batts and 6 mil film is on ground covered with gravel. No foundation. 12x16 room supported on piers. Thank you.
If you REALLY want to get this right and STOP all moisture problems/mold possibilities and get very HIGH R values, rip out ALL insul and get an insulation spray foam company in a spray foam all joist bays.

The killer on crawl spaces goes like this. Of ANY standard fiberglass insulation gets 5% of moisture in it, then that insul loses 90% of its insul intended values,
21boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

crawl space insulation

If you decide to keep the fg insulation and nail up rigid foam, tape the edges of the foam and/or goo in between sheets. Closed cell spray foam is the best, bus spendy, if the joists are completely covered.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote