Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Crawl Space Inspection Results: Water Pool, Pipes, etc.

Had to access crawl space today to run coax. Figured I would take a peek around the space since the last time was about 2 years ago.

what i found is sort of disturbing, but after reading some other posts my mind is somewhat settled. Just want someone's experienced opinion on this...

The space is approx. 1900 sq ft. in a far corner, where it appears the ground is sloped there is a pool of water. the dirt around the pool appears wet, so my guess is the pool was much larger than it currently stands.

I don't have any noticeable odors on the main floor, the space of course smells like a dirty ol' attic.

Here's a pic of the space in 2010:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9431020...in/photostream

Here's a pic of the pool today (2013):

The space is a bit creepy this time, we cut down 2 black locust in the rear yard, as a result the roots grew sprouts. Needless to say they sprouted in the space as well.

I also notice the sewer drain has a wet appearance at the connections. is this normal?

And finally, the HVAC has always bothered me. They are not insulated, so when i turn the heat on, i get cold air for a few minutes (not energy efficient). Can I do anything about it, or advise against insulating because of the moisture?

WB

Westbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,348

In that first picture it sure looks like a red brick with something stacked on top of it that's tipping.
That needs to go. Get a measurement and see if a 4 X 6 X12 soild concrete block will fit in there, may need to add a steel shim if it needs more.
Those old cast iron pipes were going to rust out and leak or start plugging up at some point, replace with PVC.

Standing water under a house is never a good thing. It would not even pass a building inspection like that.
Some water proofing, regrading, adding gutters, may be called for outside.
Raising the grade under the house would also help.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

By the looks of your pics, seems you have moisture penetration from the exterior wall. Check your ground elevation as well as your perimeter drainage system. If it is not taking away the water then it will only continue to create more problems. Would also help if you put your location on your profile as we are guessing you do not live in California...........
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Home is southeastern PA.

New gutters installed 1 year ago. That corner may be the culprit, the down spout hits a splash thing. I will extend the spout further out.

As for the center supports, Been like that for 44 years. Appears they used a red brick and fiber-cement (asbestos) shingles as shims.

Question: with the current water situation, would I benefit to install rigid foam under the main floor and insulate hvac?
Westbrook is offline   Reply With Quote