Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Share |

Crawl space fan

My crawl space has so much moisture the sump pump pipe I just installed had condensation dripping off it after being in place for only 10 minutes. Has anyone ever tried these crawl space fans? What do you all think?

http://www.amazon.com/Tjernlund-UnderAire-Crawl-Space-Ventilator/dp/B000N4WOWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370114824&sr=8-1&keywords=crawl+space+fans

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

Crawl space fan

Is there a 6 mil. plastic vaper barrier on the ground?
How many other vents are there under there?
Do you have gutters no mulch piled up againt the foundation and a grade that runs away from the foundation?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Crawl space fan

No 6 mil plastic, but there are at least seven vents around the house. I just had new gutters installed and I keep them clear. We have taken away most of the plants near the house.

Do I put the 6 mil down and place gravel on top, or the gravel first and then the plastic? Why is itt the plastic will not just be trap the moisture?
Thank you for your advice.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Crawl space fan

Depends on a number of factors.
If that crawl space is below the outside grade you know have a pond.
Many times we have raised the grade under the house then added the 6 mil and the customer never had standing water again.
Gravel on top of it would be useless.
No one here can see just how bad your crawl space is so it's hard to know what effect the plastic will have.
Done correctly all you would see is some moisture on the bottom side that's not going to do any harm.
Leave it like it is and your going to end up with, or you all ready have fungus growing on your floor joist that will distroy them.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

Crawl space fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Depends on a number of factors.
If that crawl space is below the outside grade you know have a pond.

What is you r opinion on crawl space fans? I was even thinking of putting in a dehumidifier in there, but I have seen those for crawl spaces over $1000.00.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #6

Crawl space fan

Read the fine print in the info in the fan directions, some say to hook them up to a switch and only run for 24 hours at a time.
Any dehumidfier will work it does not need to be some "special one", just buy one that can have the drain pan removed and a drain hose attached and ran to the sump.
The best way is to do as I suggested and figure out why the waters getting in and fix that. Then there nothing to fail and no expenice of the dehumidifer and the power to run it. A dehumidifer is nothing more then a modified A/C unit and is not cheap to run.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #7

Crawl space fan

You don't list your location, which is very important on this issue.

In many parts if the country, such as the the South, the climate is such that in many circumstances, the area under a house has a "climate" where the dewpoint is about 75 degrees.

Picture a day where it's in the upper 80s or low 90s outside, and about 50-60% humidity. On such a day, if the outside air is introduced into the crawl space, either by a fan or natural air currents, the moisture in the air is going to immediately condense, and you'll have water on all the surfaces under your home.

Google "closed crawl spaces" and you will will find much info. Advanced Energy has much good research and recommendations.

The first thing you want to do is get a vapor barrier on your dirt floor. 6 mil plastic is the minimum...I used 15 mil StegoWrap. It's a great product for this purpose.

Depending on where you live, closing and sealing your crawl space can be a good idea. Search some of my other posts for details and web links.

I can't stress enough the need for you at a minimum to get that dirt covered.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #8

Crawl space fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The best way is to do as I suggested and figure out why the waters getting in and fix that.
I looks like it is just a high water table in that area. I do not know how to fix that. In addition the house does sit low compared to other homes and I do not knowhow to fix that other than raising the house up. I am stuck with what I have I guess.