Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Crawl Excavation

I'm a fairly inexperienced DIYer just about to embark on a basment finishing project. The problem I've got is a partial full basement (small) and partial crawl space (large). The crawl has full height poured concrete walls, and about 500ft2 that I'd love to utilize. The dirt is excavated down to about 8' around the perimter in a 2' wide trench. The house was built in 54' or 55' and I don't know why they didn't excavate the entire basement. Since the walls are already full height I don't think I will have to do any foundation work other than getting a slab poured. Any thoughts on getting several tonnes of dirt out from under my house?....cheaply

thanks

Doc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Crawl Excavation

Cheap.. by hand....... (but hard work)
Easily... knock a hole in the side and bring in a small tractor

mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #3

Crawl Excavation

I though about knocking a hole in the foundation, but I don't know about fitting a tractor in there. Maybe a conveyor system to the driveway and a team of labors for a couple days.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
digit

Send a message via Yahoo to esel
Smile

Crawl Excavation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc52 View Post
I though about knocking a hole in the foundation, but I don't know about fitting a tractor in there. Maybe a conveyor system to the driveway and a team of labors for a couple days.

Thanks for the reply.
Hey Doc, how many laborers for 2 days? Free labor? You might want to consider taking enough wall down to allow for a small skidsteer loader to excavate the soil in one day, then you can rebuild the wall in one day and while that wall is down you can carry in your gravel for the subbase for the concrete floor. Just a thought. I assume this is a block foundation?
esel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #5

Crawl Excavation

I think I would try to find you some cheap hard working day laborers.
no illegals
megawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
digit

Send a message via Yahoo to esel

Crawl Excavation

Sorry Doc52, I missed the "poured wall detail" but still go with my original idea as far as effeciency is concerned. As I understand, sounds like you're describing an area of 400sf x 8'deep, if so, that's a lot of spoil to remove by hand. If you have cheap labor and a lot of time by all means make an access hole for the conveyor and go to it. But a concrete wall section can be removed and a new poured section can be doweled back into the original wall sections in a relatively short time
esel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Crawl Excavation

I know someone who hired one guy to do this using a bucket and a shovel!!! It took him a summer passing out buckets through a access panel! Not sure where all the dirt went. This was a couple of years after the house was built (same age house as yours). I have only heard the stories and have seen the finished space. If I remember the story correctly it was something like an extra $25 to have all the dirt removed when the house was built and was an option from the builder.

If it were me I would just hire some laborers and let them have at it. Ideally you will have some place in the yard to use the dirt. Maybe use it to improve the grade away from the foundation.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #8

Crawl Excavation

Thanks everybody for the input.

I talked to a friend of mine last night who has seen this done a couple times. His thinking is if i really want that basement space I should think about another house. Deffinitely would be easier and probably less $$.

I think I'm gonna let the crawl excavation go for now and focus on finishing my full basement section. It will be a fun project and with the decreased size I'll only have to get a 40" maybe 45" HD TV.

All around I'm thinking this is the wise financial move.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #9

Crawl Excavation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
I know someone who hired one guy to do this using a bucket and a shovel!!! It took him a summer passing out buckets through a access panel! Not sure where all the dirt went. This was a couple of years after the house was built (same age house as yours). I have only heard the stories and have seen the finished space. If I remember the story correctly it was something like an extra $25 to have all the dirt removed when the house was built and was an option from the builder.

If it were me I would just hire some laborers and let them have at it. Ideally you will have some place in the yard to use the dirt. Maybe use it to improve the grade away from the foundation.

A bucket and a shovel!!!!!!!!!!

And only a summer??? Was he unemployed and were talking 7 days a week!!!