Cracks In New Carport Posts - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cracks in new carport posts

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing my carport posts with 4x4s. After about 1 week I am seeing cracks in the posts. I used pressure treated lumber and I applied wood preservative after I put them up. I also predrilled all screw holes. Is there something else I should be doing to avoid cracking? Is the quality of the lumber just bad. Pictures attached.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Cracks in new carport posts-img_0025.jpg   Cracks in new carport posts-img_0988.jpg  

Advertisement

tbick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbick View Post
Is there something else I should be doing to avoid cracking? Is the quality of the lumber just bad.
It's normal to see that especially with treated Pine. There's nothing you can or should even try to do to stop it, structurally it's just fine.

If it's the aesthetics that bothers you then wrap the post in WR Cedar, Redwood or PVC trim.

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

That's good to know. Thanks for the response kwikfishron.
tbick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Welcome to the world of pressure treated southern yellow pine. IF I have stated this once on this forum then I have stated this a lot. From the photos I would definitely state that these are Southern Yellow Pine, by the looks of the grain(s) and knots. Southern Yellow Pine were bread many years ago to grow fast, and grow straight (somewhat). Modern pressure treating processes involve a lot of heat which allows the preservative to enter the wood fibers. But alas-this also stresses the wood's grain and allows the cut lumber to be weakened.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote