DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   cracks on internal wall (

bozron 04-09-2009 03:29 PM

cracks on internal wall
Hi,I live in a terraced house in the UK that was built in the sixties. At that time building regulations were slack as my neighbours central heating flue liner is built in the dividing wall.
I have repaired cracks in the wall many times but as you can imagine as the wall warms up in the winter months and cools off, the cracks appear again.
It is not possible to plasterboard the wall. Can anyone give me ideas on a solution ?
many thanks
Bozron :)

wildcat 04-09-2009 03:33 PM

What materials have been used to construct the wall? And do you know the size of your neighbor's flue?

bozron 04-09-2009 03:48 PM

re cracks on wall
The flue made from asbestos about 5"
The wall made from breeze block, sand, cement, and plaster.

wildcat 04-10-2009 11:47 AM

If the block wall doesn't have any control joints they could be added very easily. A "floating" wall could be constructed over the block wall, simply gyp board on furring or channels. The floating wall can built but not attached to black wall, this will allow the block wall to expand/contract without cracking the gypsum board wall. It would probably best to due both the floating wall and adding any needed control joints to the block wall.

bjbatlanta 04-10-2009 01:22 PM

Do a search for Nu Wall. It is a fabric type of wallcovering for repairing cracked plaster. Don't know if heat will affect it, but I'm sure a call or email to their customer service could answer that question....

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1