Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Cracks in foundation.........

I live in a split level. The main living room and kitchen sit above a crawl space that has a concrete block foundation. The house was built in the 60s.

I noticed three cracks on the outside in the stucco or concrete finish they put over the blocks. They are vertical cracks and probably 1/8th an inch or less in thickness. Run straight up and down. One on one side of the house, two on the opposite side of the house. The two run right up the wall from from ground level to the siding (about a foot or two) and I dug down a bit and the crack continues under the soil.

Now, I haven't crawled into the crawl space to see if the crack is also on the inside of the foundation.

Most I have read is that it's likely just settling cracks and no big deal. That seems to be the case because the house was repainted before I bought it (probably painted 7-8 years ago) and the paint seems to be in the crack indicating the crack was there when I bought it and they just painted over it. My home inspector never mentioned any concern with them (granted we all know home inspectors can miss things).

When I crawl inside the crawl space to take a look, are there things I should be looking for? Like is the concrete block cracked in the middle of the block or thickness or whatever?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

TyWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Cracks in foundation.........

If the cracks are vertical, and approximately the same width top to bottom, its unlikely to be a footing problem.
More likely, it's down to normal shrinkage of concrete blockwork soon after construction. The cracks probably date to not long after the house was built.

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote