Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cracks in basement

G'Day Everyone.

Just would like to know if these cracks in my floor are from shifting or from something worse?I've been in the house for over three years now and we have never had a problem with water/leaking.Could I use a concrete patching compound>primer>then leveler?
Attached Thumbnails
cracks in basement-img_0192.jpg   cracks in basement-img_0193.jpg   cracks in basement-img_0194.jpg   cracks in basement-img_0196.jpg   cracks in basement-img_0197.jpg  

cracks in basement-img_0198.jpg  

renopadawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #2

cracks in basement

some more pics
Attached Thumbnails
cracks in basement-img_0200.jpg   cracks in basement-img_0199.jpg  

Old 05-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

cracks in basement

Cracks like that aren't uncommon. First of all, bear in mind that all concrete cracks. What differs is that all concrete cracks differently. Your cracks are probably caused by settlement or heaving of the subgrade that they're sitting on. That settlement or heaving could be due to moisture in the soil or settlement of the soil that was "fluffed up" during the construction process.

You probably need to rule out water as the problem. If you have a functioning sump pump, you're in good shape. If not, you should consider cutting a hole in the lowest part of the floor and putting a sump pit in.

There are various epoxy products on the market that you can put in the cracks the restore the strength to the concrete and prevent water intrusion. Check out Hilti and Simpson. Both are manufacturers. You won't find this type of product at a box store...Specialty construction suppliers have them.

It also appears that the concrete is spalling (surface breaking off in flakes). I'd say it was a poorly installed slab. You can overlay it if you want, but that will only be a band aid to cover unstable surface concrete. Not much can be done to stabilize spalling concrete.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

cracks in basement

We have used various epoxy products (for concrete and wood) from this company and highly recommend them:

http://www.abatron.com/cms/
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:16 AM   #5

cracks in basement

Since I have had no water problems is a sump pump really necessary?

Would the best fix for the slab be a "new slab?" I would like to reno the basement sometime anyway.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

cracks in basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by renopadawan View Post
Since I have had no water problems is a sump pump really necessary?

Would the best fix for the slab be a "new slab?" I would like to reno the basement sometime anyway.

Thanks for your help guys.
As stated, if you have no significant water build up, then place a sump pump as a "plan B".

What I would suggest is using a crack-injection epoxy for concrete. Check the site I linked to for Abatron. They sell structural crack-injection epoxy for exactly what you are showing.

Here's a link to the line of products: http://www.abatron.com/cms/buildinga...onsystems.html

Good Luck.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-27-2008 at 06:57 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote