Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Share |

cracking sounds from the house

hi guys my house is 33 years old and in very good shape , i have noticed that when i have replaced my roof their is lot of cracking sound comming from the wall near the roof(corners ) , sometimes they are loud and sometimes it is dripping sound( even if it is water dripping i shouldnt be hearing it has a very thick insulation under the roof)

i tried to see any water damage by looking in to the attic but i couldnt find any as due to heavy insulation i am afraid to go in to the attic .these sound suddenly come and go and noticable when it is freezing outside .It seems like something is going to break
please help the poor man
computerxtutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Is it most noticable when there is the possibility of ice built up on the roof?
Is this only happening in one corner or several places?
What all did they replace when they put on the new roof (just the shingles, or some lumber, metal flashing)?
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #3

they just replaced shingles and only two pieces of board below shingles .During ice it disappears so its not wait for sure .it comes around mostly 4 to 5 places around the roof .and sometimes in between the roof .the most notable place is where they put all the shingles boxes on the roof during installation . sometimes it sounds like dripping which again is not water as if it was water i wouldnt be able to hear it because of heavy insulation. i want to go into attic but dont want to disturb insulation .is the wood frame of house cracking , if so thier is not visible structural damge observerd , no cracks nothing
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #4

some one else told me in this forum , that if the framing is done with damp lumber it will shrink , may be that shrinking is makin all that noises . second the house is 35 years or more old
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Disabled wood vet

Be careful to only walk on the joists in the attic and look for any signs of leaks.
Also while your up there, look for any broken collar ties.
These are boards about head level going back and forth from the roof angle on one side to the angle on the other.
You may not even have any, depending.
I only mention this because you think the noise started after they stacked the shingle bundles on the roof.
If no broken boards or signs of water leaks, don't worry about the noise as far as worrying something bad could come from this.
May stop on its own...
How many winters ago was the roof replaced?

Last edited by titanoman; 02-22-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #6

almost two years ago. if i go into attic using large pieces of wood , they are going to compress the insulation , how then to move aroun in attic , thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerxtutor
almost two years ago. if i go into attic using large pieces of wood , they are going to compress the insulation , how then to move aroun in attic , thanks
Won't hurt anything. It'll fluff back up.
Also read my previous post as I added to it.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
STAFF

Notice when the sounds start, is the heat in the house turned up higher, or is the house cooling down? Is it warming up or cooling down outside? It sounds like it could be the the new wood contracting and expanding from the change of temperature. If it is there is nothing to worry about.

But new snow load may be a reason of concern, but it wouldn't continue making noise unless something is moving either from more snow load or heat and cooling.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 02-22-2012 at 11:08 AM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote