Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #1

Share |

cracked driveway + leaning retaining wall = now what?

Hi all,

I hope I can solicit some help/ideas. To give you some background I have owned my home for a little over 4 years and when we bought it there was a small problem with the retaining wall on the North side leaning a few degrees (nothing major or so I thought). Fast forward 4 years and it was getting really bad and the driveway was falling apart, so my wife and I got some bids for new concrete and/or new pavers and decided that we didn't have the money to get it done at this time. One of the contractors suggested removing the driveway until we could decided so that it wouldn't continue to put pressure on the retaining wall and then we could decide what we wanted to do in the future. Well, we rented a jack hammer and went to it and eventually got the entire driveway out (which includes a basketball court) and now are stuck on what we need to do.

Money is an object as we don't have much free or much equity to get this project done right. So, I'm looking for some cheap suggestions on what to do until we can get money to do it for good. We live in a snowy environment so that has to be a consideration. I have attached a few pictures including one under my steps leading to my door that show that the dirt base has eroded from who knows where.
Attached Thumbnails
cracked driveway + leaning retaining wall = now what?-100_1079b.jpg   cracked driveway + leaning retaining wall = now what?-100_1080b.jpg   cracked driveway + leaning retaining wall = now what?-100_1083b.jpg   cracked driveway + leaning retaining wall = now what?-100_1084b.jpg   cracked driveway + leaning retaining wall = now what?-100_1085b.jpg  

cracked driveway + leaning retaining wall = now what?-100_1086b.jpg  

agent425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Not what you want to hear, but the real cause in my opinion, is moisture behind the wall (causing the tilting/failure) coupled with the base under the driveway not being sufficient because f the sub-base and moisture. I could be wrong on the moisture without knowing the weather/rainfall and soil conditions.

The walls tilts and the driveway cracks due to the lack of support.

You can replace the driveway and base under it to make it better for resale if the buyer does not look too closely at the wall.

If the wall is poured concrete, that is very costly to correct and install a drain to control excess soil moisture and find a route away. If it is a segmental retaining wall, it can be rebuilt with a drain behind the lowest block.

Just a knee-jerk opinion based on a litttle information.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #3

I would have left the concrete in place. Taking it out just presents all sort of liability issues when no solution is coming.
I would fill in areas where the public will be walking or fencing off the areas by any walkways.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I would have left the concrete in place. Taking it out just presents all sort of liability issues when no solution is coming.
I would fill in areas where the public will be walking or fencing off the areas by any walkways.
Ron
Yeah, and hindsight being 20:20, I would have never bought this house or any house on a hill
Old 09-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
If the wall is poured concrete, that is very costly to correct and install a drain to control excess soil moisture and find a route away. If it is a segmental retaining wall, it can be rebuilt with a drain behind the lowest block.

Just a knee-jerk opinion based on a litttle information.

Dick
It is a poured wall

Tags
concrete, driveway, retaining wall