DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   CPVC tubing and angle stop valve (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/cpvc-tubing-angle-stop-valve-92255/)

Wiscbldr 01-14-2011 08:27 AM

CPVC tubing and angle stop valve
 
Last night I discovered that one of our Flow Tite angle stops that supplies water to the toilet was leaking. I would like to change out this type of valve with a brasscraft style 1/4 turn angle shut off valve. That way I can simply change out the flexible hose down the road if it ever fails vs having to replace the valve/house assembly each time.

Is there a problem going from CPVC tubing to a chrome/brass type of fitting?

I dont really want to glue on an attachment to the CPVC if I can help it, and I really dont want to put another flow tite type of quick connect stop valve right back on.

Will a compression type fitting work on CPVC? Do I need to have an insert inside the CPVC in order to prevent cracking/collapse, and if so, should it be brass or plastic?

..suggestions, links to products or videos that solve this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pittsville 01-14-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiscbldr
Is there a problem going from CPVC tubing to a chrome/brass type of fitting?

No problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiscbldr
I dont really want to glue on an attachment to the CPVC if I can help it, and I really dont want to put another flow tite type of quick connect stop valve right back on.

What do you mean by attachment? Are you referring to a CPVC slip stop valve? Or a fitting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiscbldr
Will a compression type fitting work on CPVC? Do I need to have an insert inside the CPVC in order to prevent cracking/collapse, and if so, should it be brass or plastic?

A compression stop can be installed on CPVC as long as you don't over-tighten it. It's also suggested that you wrap the compression ring with teflon tape or a coating of pipe dope prior to installation to help ensure a water tight seal. (If using pipe dope, make sure that's formulated for use on both the valve and the CPVC pipe) You will not need an insert on the inside of the CPVC.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved