Covering Unusual Ceiling With Wood - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Covering unusual ceiling with wood

Hello, I would like some advice on remodeling my living room, especially the ceiling. This part of the house was an addition, and as you can see in the pic, the guy ran 4x6 beams 32 apart on center, and made the roof out of rolls of a roughly 4 thick cellulose material. I dont like the look, and Id like to apply thin hardwood flooring between the beams to cover this material and give the room a warm wood look. My biggest engineering problem is the mechanical attachment of the wood planks. The foam will not hold nails/screws, and it sags a bit. So I think I have to use the beams somehow. My only idea right now is to cut the planks to fit between the beams, and use a narrow trim piece matching the plank color along each edge, pressed up against the planks, and nailed or screwed into the beams, which would hold up the planks.

Any other ideas on how to do this? Also, can/should I apply a layer of some kind of thin insulating material between the old ceiling material and the planks? This is the most inefficient part of the house energy-wise, and when it rains we can hear it pretty loudly through the roof. Is there anything out there that will help with energy or noise?

Im also going to remove the thin wood paneling on the walls, which gives the place a beach-house vibe that doesnt fit. So I have to learn how to apply a decent looking imperfect smooth wall coating. Any advice or resources are appreciated! I also really want to install some sloped windows in the upper part of one of the walls, but Ive never installed windows, and Im afraid of this thing getting out of control. Go big or go home, right? OK, thanks for any ideas youd like to contribute.

Advertisement

Louie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #2

I'm trying to insert a pic, but if I paste it in, it tells me "message must be t least 5 characters", and if I try to submit as a file, it asks for the URL, but its on my hard drive. Oh well...

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

Welcome to the forum Louie D.

Give this a try. How to attach a photo to a post
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #4

Thank you for the help, but for some reason this option is not showing up. When I registered, the site told me it would send a confirmation message to my email box before I had full rights. I never got that message, but I was able to post this thread. Not sure if that has anything to do with the inability to add an attachment. Thanks again