Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Covering Shed Windows

Hello to all,

My name is Mack, and I would like to get some advice about covering up the windows on a shed that I will be using for a wood shop. The structure has 7 screen windows that don't lock which compromises security in my opinion. I would like to cover them (make them a wall), or have them covered by a professional if It's too involved for me to do. Once the windows are taken out and covered, I would like to have them covered with the same yellow siding (see photo). My question is what materials would you use to cover the windows and what are the steps involved?

I forgot to mention that I would like to leave one window intact. I would also have the screen door taken out and have a more secure door installed but that's a different issue. Thanks for your help. I look forward to participating in the forum. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Covering Shed Windows-1.jpg  

Last edited by Mackman; 04-03-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Mackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Covering Shed Windows

You remove the windows and the trim, install wall studs as needed and plywood the areas you want covered.
Side with whatever you want.
You might need a permit.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #3

Covering Shed Windows

Hi Ron,
Thank you for your reply. What thickness plywood do recommended? I'll look into whether or not I need a permit. Thanks for pointing that out.

-Mack
Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #4

Covering Shed Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You remove the windows and the trim, install wall studs as needed and plywood the areas you want covered.
You might need a permit.
Ron
Hi Ron,
I have a couple more questions: What material would you suggest for the studs, metal or wood, and would they be vertical or horizontal? Thanks again for your help.

-Mack
Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Covering Shed Windows

You put the same thickness sheathing as is below the windows. My guess would be 3/4".
The wood studs are vertical. sheathing, horizontal.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Covering Shed Windows

Quote:
You put the same thickness sheathing as is below the windows. My guess would be 3/4".
The wood studs are vertical. sheathing, horizontal.
Ron
Ron,
Thank you for you help. It's much appreciated.

Mack
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #7

Covering Shed Windows

Quote:
You might need a permit.
Ron
Hi Ron,
You were right, I do need a permit. Thanks

-Mack

Last edited by Mackman; 04-05-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Covering Shed Windows

This is one of those cases where you don't really need a permit - it's just a shed, and you're keeping the door for egress so there's no safety concern.
But most inspectors are nice guys who will teach you a thing or two, so it's some of the best cheap advice you'll get.
If you buy any DIY renovation book, it will show you the basics of framing (bottom plate, cripples, top plate) and this will be an easy job.
Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #9

Covering Shed Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairylander View Post
This is one of those cases where you don't really need a permit - it's just a shed, and you're keeping the door for egress so there's no safety concern.
But most inspectors are nice guys who will teach you a thing or two, so it's some of the best cheap advice you'll get.
If you buy any DIY renovation book, it will show you the basics of framing (bottom plate, cripples, top plate) and this will be an easy job.
Hi Dairylander,
My sister said that a permit wasn't needed (It's her house), but I called the Dept. OF Building just to be sure. I hope you're right when you say it will be an easy job, because I don't want to get in over my head. Thank you.

-Mack
Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Covering Shed Windows

Why don't they lock? Would it be better to fix that and keep them for ventalation?
pjordan4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #11

Covering Shed Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4477 View Post
Why don't they lock? Would it be better to fix that and keep them for ventalation?
Hi pjordan,

There are a total of 7 screen windows (2 aren't visible in the photo), and none of them have locks. Even If they had locks I would still eliminate most of them. I plan on keeping one or 2 windows for ventilation. I should also add that I will take out the windows that I do plan on keeping and replace them with a more secure frame and better windows that lock. Thanks.

-Mack