Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Covering Concrete stairs with plywood

I have concrete stairs leading into my basement from the first level in my house. I want to finish the room in the basement, this envolves covering the stairs. I want to cover the the stairs with plywood and then install carpet. I'm not sure what to use as a barrier between the plywood and the concrete.

Does anybody have ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Covering Concrete stairs with plywood-image-3099881542.jpg  

Last edited by Gdinger; 04-06-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Gdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Drylock would work. Id use that on the steps as well as the side walls. Make sure to really cover it good using more than one coat.

Jason34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason34 For This Useful Post:
Gdinger (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

Can you use a adhesive to fasten the plywood to this product?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

How about drylok and rubber treads? You could probably glue indoor outdoor to the steps, but forget the wood. IMO

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

First what is going on with the concrete? You must fix that first. Those front corners in the picture of the bottom two stairs look to be leaning to the left and like something got to them? Like flood water?

You will not comply to code anymore, if you do now, if you change treads depth and riser height with a layer of plywood or whatever. And then put carpet over the top since you changed structural dimensions.

An epoxy coat spread on to correct the surface would be my suggestion.

http://www.abatron.com/virtuemart/co...ocretekit.html

Then just carpet over it, I guess. Or paint the epoxy and concrete with a quality floor paint of your choice and color and and apply non-slip tread strips. Here are just a few of many out there.

Last edited by user1007; 04-06-2013 at 09:25 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #6

The concrete has been repaired. The color u see is the patch. I installed weeping pipe and any water issue has been repaired.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #7

I know Titebond subfloor adhesive will work because we used that to glue a wooden board onto a concrete floor 2 years ago and its still holding.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,156

drylock is NOT traffic resistant hell, it won't even stop moisture UNLESS its very light,,, its a cementitious mtl meaning its porous as is conc,,, many use it only to repair/recoat later,,, it adds another maintenance item to a home's schedule

IF it were ours AND we were certain the water problem was resolved/remediated, i'd cover w/wood & be done w/it IF wood is what's desired,,, this looks as it its going to be a finish'd room NOT a cellar hideway/storage area,,, my bride, nagzilla, would have me ****can the rubber mats in a heartbeat IF it were ours

titebond i don't know how does adding treads put the stairs out of code compliance ? other than possibly the 1st & last step ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Coat the plywood of the top stair with flooring adhesive. Before it has time to dry, start applying the slats of hardwood flooring to the glue surface. Set the wood slats as close to each other as possible until you cover the entire surface of the plywood.
leenamark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #10

I didnt think titebond would adhere wood to concrete either until my boss at work told me to make a strip to cover an air hose that was on the floor. He told me to use the titebond and its still holding up very well.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
how does adding treads put the stairs out of code compliance ? other than possibly the 1st & last step ?
Won't the thickness of ply heavy enough to hold up to foot traffic plus padding and carpet raise the height of all the treads to the point the stairs are no longer compliant?

I also worry about gluing plywood on stairs. Might work with the carpet helping to hold it but if the glue gives, the things are going to slide around. There are a variety of forces put on stairs that a flat floor does not experience. And the stairs will got more use than a patch on a floor one presumes?

I think I would anchor them with something in addition to the glue. Ramset gun should work and go quickly if the concrete is stable?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote