Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Share |

Covering basement window

Hello all,

I have read a few treads on this topic, and have a few questions about covering a window in my basement. I have a walk out basement and I want to cover one of the windows on the side of my house which has a window well. I am not planning on putting any bedrooms in the basement, and there are 4 other windows, and a sliding glass door to allow for plenty of egress if at all required.

From the exterior this window will have a window well cover to reduce moisture getting in. The area that this window is in the area that I am building my bar. I want to have a TV centered on this wall, the window is not centered on this area.

I plan in framing this area to allow for easier removal in the future. I will frame the top and bottom of the window and add support studs above and below. Then I will toenail studs in the window area to attach drywall, this is the part that will be somewhat easily removable to frame as a regular window in the future...if needed. What is the best way to cover this window? If well insulated, is there a need to leave any kind of opening for venting or anything?

Ideas and help is much appreciated.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Covering basement window-photo.jpg  
mike-ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Covering basement window

Where are you located?
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Covering basement window

I would not cut out any window that lets sunlight into a basement. Those with no sunlight get dingy real fast, IMHO.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #4

Covering basement window

I'm understanding you plan for the insulation being interior rather than exterior . If so, there is a real good chance of condensation on the glass interiorduring colder months .
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Covering basement window

+1

Be careful covering it unless you really zip that wall up tight.

If you are going to re-brick and mortar that spot on the exterior wall, that will be fine but closing up just the wall and insulating is going to have a pretty good chance for condensation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Roofmaster

Covering basement window

Install 2 " EXPS (Dow Styrofoam, not bead board) on the outside of the window, perimeter seal with stuff. Then install duroc, or wonderboard, and seal that. Your window will in effect become your vapor retarder on the warm side, and the dew point will fall within the insulation.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #7

Covering basement window

IMO, remove the diaper; Finishing Basement; Should i leave the insulation up or take it down?

Check with your local AHJ as you may need the window to meet code minimum "Light & ventilation", if not egress, "Habitable room" and exceptions, here: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_3_sec003.htm

I would not leave the window in place, even if they allow it and covered possibly with adding a substitute room make-up-air supply/exhaust, treat it as a wall, adding siding and insulation/drywall. Windows leak water/air (esp. sliders), any basement moisture could condense in your window/wall make-up- exfiltrating from the room air going out due to the pressure/temperature differences and air gaps between materials. Unless it was completely air-tight, foaming the weep holes/moveable slider/window frame; at all joints, ruining the window against further use. IMO.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote