Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Covered patio structure pitched roof

How do I attach a new pitched roof to my existing roof ? What data do i need to even need to begin to plan this out? How do I determine the pitch of the existing roof so as to match the new roof addition to the same slope? Area to cover is 15 x 15 , single story house. I want the eve/edge of the new roof to match up with the eve/edge of the existing roof. The house is 20yrs old if that makes any difference. The cover will be open , no walls.

Last edited by WHBIII; 05-31-2011 at 05:37 PM.
WHBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Not so new

...a couple pictures and a drawing of the proposed new roof will do wonders getting you numerous, expert opinions.

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #3

I attached three photos.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Is this a one or two-story home? To the right, left, or across the chimney? A bit too vague in describing your goals.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHBIII View Post
How do I attach a new pitched roof to my existing roof ? What data do i need to even need to begin to plan this out? How do I determine the pitch of the existing roof so as to match the new roof addition to the same slope? Area to cover is 15 x 15 , single story house. I want the eve/edge of the new roof to match up with the eve/edge of the existing roof. The house is 20yrs old if that makes any difference. The cover will be open , no walls.
If you're extending the current roof line down from the current fascia, this won't work if the roof is one story. As you extend the roof line it gets closer to the ground. By the time you get out 15 feet the roof will be hitting the ground. If the fascia is 10 feet off the ground and your roof pitch is 12 in 12, the roof will hit the ground in 10 feet.
If you want to extend the roof from the fascia board, the roof will be nearly flat going out 15 feet.
To get more slope, you would need to start the patio roof up onto the house.
In either case, the roof lines would not match.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #6

I want to have the new roof pitched like the existing roof. Not a flat lean too type. Any thoughts on that design?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #7

It is a single story house. And I want to have it pitched and centered on the fireplace coming out over the patio. Which means I assume part of this will have to be built around the chimney? To keep the roof lines at the same height how high would the structure need to be? Say the current roof line/edge is 8ft to 9ft off the ground.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

So it will run perpendicular to the existing? If so, that is a very common design. Generally, we would match up the beam height with the existing wall height and then calculate rafters off of that. To determine your existing slope, you can use a 4'level to see what the difference is in 4'. Lets say the difference in 4' is 24". This would equate to 6" per foot, or as we would say, a 6/12 pitch.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
WHBIII (06-04-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Framing Contractor

Ask some friends for a reccommendation of a Contractor or carpenter to at least get you started. This is a bit more than a weekend warrior job for a serious DIY'er. The existing roof can remain, with new framing extending over, but the shingles will need to be tied in carefully.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote