Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Share |

Covered Deck/Roof Extension?

We are considering having our back deck covered, mostly for protection against the rain, but also for some shade in summer. The deck is about 3' off the ground and is 12'x12'. The roof is asphalt shingles. We are in need of some ideas.

One idea we have is to simply have the existing roof line extended over the deck (e.g., slope straight down from 2nd story to 1st story over deck with existing pitch). The upper window shown in the photo is next to a soaking tub in the master bath. We never open this shade because the window looks right into our neighbors, so I am not too concerned about blocking this window, but would probably want to put a skylight in the roof extension for light.

The arrangement of windows has been making deciding how to cover this deck difficult. Do you guys have any other ideas for covering this deck?

Thanks,

-Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Covered Deck/Roof Extension?-photo.jpg  

techdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

Looks like a good application for a retractable awning. I think there is enough room above the patio doors and the window to mount it.

In my opinion, extending the existing roof and covering those windows would look poor.

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Aren't retractable awnings mostly intended to provide shade/sun protection, not long term rain protection? I looked at a couple of retractable awning suppliers and they suggest fully retracting the awning for winter storage. As mentioned, our primary purpose is protection against rain, but I understand, and partly share, your concern about those windows. Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #4

A roof that high, and with one side open is not going to do a thing to keep rain off that deck unless it was coming straight down.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #5

The way to make this look right would be to 1) cover over the window above the sliding glass door, 2) start the new roof's high level point just below the master bath window and run it down at the same pitch as the roof above the sliding glass doors.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

New roof won't be at the same pitch as the existing. New roof would be at a lesser pitch.

But to the OP, what exactly is "long term rain protection".
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. RE SPS-1: The house is in the Seattle area, so its been raining pretty much since October. By "long term rain protection", I meant that we would want a cover 24/7, not just as needed as would be the case with a retractable awning, and I doubt a retractable awning would hold up to the rain, moss, mildew, pine needles, leaves, etc. as well as an asphalt covered roof would.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #8

Just a roof is not going to offer much protection.