DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cover Garage Vents

11K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
Hi All,

First post here!

I am preparing to sheet my garage walls with OSB and had some questions regarding vents in the walls. My garage is a detached garage with attached studio. The garage portion currently has three vents. One above the garage door, and two on the same outside wall... one about 12 inches off the floor and one on the other side the same wall at about 5ft high.

My question is what to do with these vents on the wall. Can I just cover them up with the OSB? The Garage is going to stay a garage/shop. The ceiling is not going to be finished, just the walls. The ceiling will remain open pretty much (may close off 1/4 of it for storage)

Any ideas would be great!

#3 ·
Give a call to your local B.D., as these vents were required to pass Code. In the '70-80's a high and low vent on opposite sides were installed to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning from auto exhaust. FHA required them as did many Cities around here. May not be needed now, always good to check........

If you do close them, air seal the inside osb from the outside air and moisture.

Gary

Reactions: oh'mike
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.