Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Countertop over washer and dryer. Depth? Need HELP!!!

I want to install a countertop over my washer and dryer. It will be about 5 feet wide and be attached to walls on both sides. I plan to use angle brackets for this.

I want to use a prefab counter like these ones you can find and lowes and hd....

http://www.claytoncramer.com/picture...y/100_0396.JPG

My problem.....these coutertops are about 25" deep. The closest I can get my dryer to the wall (due to vent) will give me about 31" of depth. I would make my own using plywood, contact cement, and laminate material but that is a pain in the butt.

Any ideas?!?!

Thanks!

Last edited by sandyman720; 12-08-2010 at 09:53 PM.
sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Get a smaller washer and dryer.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
BestMiterSawRatings.com

Rewards Points: 10

I'd find a matching (or complimentary) piece of material to make flashing that the back into a kind of shelf. Who know it may prove a useful place to keep the fabric softner while leaving you a nice little folding table (counter).
akilez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
BestMiterSawRatings.com

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akilez View Post
I'd find a matching (or complimentary) piece of material to make flashing that the back into a kind of shelf. Who know it may prove a useful place to keep the fabric softner while leaving you a nice little folding table (counter).
Ok sorry for "double posting" but the system doesn't let me edit my posts:

...to make that flashing at the back...
akilez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Get a smaller washer and dryer.
Ron
Thanks for the advice!
sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I just completed this same project...also using pre-fab 24" countertop purchased from HD. I knew the machines would extend beyond the depth of the countertop but now that's it's done, it's more annoying that I'd anticipated.

I went back to HD to see if I could order the same countertop in a custom depth. Unfortunately, they told me it's unavailable. I'm capable of making a 5' length of countertop myself, but I don't see how I'd be able to replicate the complex ogee curve in the laminate. I only want to replace the countertop that's over the machines. There's another section of 24" (deep) countertop, which I won't be replacing that has the ogee drip-edge and the backsplash.

I guess I'll see if I can find someone locally to make a custom piece of counter top.

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyman720 View Post
I want to install a countertop over my washer and dryer. It will be about 5 feet wide and be attached to walls on both sides. I plan to use angle brackets for this.

I want to use a prefab counter like these ones you can find and lowes and hd....

http://www.claytoncramer.com/picture...y/100_0396.JPG

My problem.....these coutertops are about 25" deep. The closest I can get my dryer to the wall (due to vent) will give me about 31" of depth. I would make my own using plywood, contact cement, and laminate material but that is a pain in the butt.

Any ideas?!?!

Thanks!
Yes. I would set the countertop even with the front of the appliances and build out a shelf from the wall to the back of the countertop at the same level as the backsplash.
dadflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

I did some more research and found out that the countertop sold by Home Depot is manufactured by VT Industries. Turns out they do in fact make a 45" deep single roll countertop that matches the 24" top I've already installed.

It has the same Ogee leading edge but no backsplash. I'll just tile to compensate for the lack of a backsplash.

Tipsy

TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote